New from Kentucky

johngalt

Hi,

Just signed up and doing research into retiring my venerable New Braunfels vertical smoker. It's served me well for 16 years but it's time to move on. I'm leaning towards a SI3 so I may ask questions once I read through the forums.

Cheers,

Welcome from ND Doug!

If you are looking for a smoker that is pretty much set it and forget it, the Smokin-It will fit the bill. If you like to open the door and tinker/slop/foil/etc, there are probably better choices.

The #3 is a great size. It is flexible enough to do 25lbs of Snack Stix, but no problem doing a small meatloaf or steak. It is a heavy beast, but with the heavy duty casters, moving it around is a breeze. You will want to use 2 people if going up/down stairs though. ;) When I got my #3, I step-by-step moved it up a 8-9 step flight of stairs to get out to my deck by myself as I didn't have my kids around. So, it can be done, but a lot easier with help.

I have had several different kinds of smokers, and this is the one (#3) that will be with me for a long time. Or at least until I can afford a #4. ;)

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the reply and information Gregg. I can live with not opening the door and tossing in more wood every 2 hours. I rather like the idea of closing the door and not coming back until it's done.

Don't get me wrong. You can open the door if you are cooking items that finish at different times. But, if you are cooking one piece of meat you are typically going to be going by Time or Internal Temp and you would not need to open the door.

One thing that you will find is that these smokers take very little wood. In fact, you will want to invest in a digital scale if you don't already have one because most smokes under 6 hours will use only 2-3 ounces of wood. You would use 5-6 ounces for longer smokes like butts and briskets.

We all have come to embrace what we call around here "Lazy Q". Instead of babysitting our smokers, we set them up and watch them with a beer in hand or go about our business until the thermometer timer goes off and tells us that the food is ready. I often times sit at my table next to the smoker with a beer and just enjoy the beautiful blue smoke that wisps from the hole in the top of the smoker. This is making me wish I wasn't at work and at home smoking something.

Welcome Doug. I have the #3 and love it. I especially like the size. Even though I don't cook lots of things at one time, I just like the space. I always go for the biggest I can afford at the time. You won't be sorry. ND is right. I also find myself sitting and watching the smoke some times and just sucking it up.

Welcome, Doug!  Great smoker for a transition from the New Braunfel.  You'll have to break some old habits, but once you embrace our Lazy Q, you'll never look back! 

By the way...who is John Galt? ;)

Back