New 3D Owner

Jumanji

Hello, my name is Michael, and I recently purchased a 3D.  Unlike some of you guys who appear to have a collection of pits, my ownership to this point has only included gas grills.  Some small, some built in, and one now that has lots of bells and whistles.  I've been reluctant to venture into the smoker world, being somewhat familiar with them as both my brother and my father were very competitive BBQ cookoff participants, and did quite well in some very large competitions.  Ask them what it takes to do a brisket - although their pits were very large and/or trailer mounted, so they'd be smoking 100's of lbs of meat at a time - and I'd get lost in the answer.  Three years ago, I purchased a house on the water and there was a huge smoker pit on the concrete pad next to the dock.  There it sat - waiting to be used.  Opened it a couple of times and figured I really needed a truck bed of wood just to even get it up to temp.  And a whole cow or pig, to make it worthwhile to fire up.  Finally decided to get rid of it, and had a great opportunity when a barge was setting pilings for us, and the owner could take it with the barge crane.  So there - done with that, and now I could justify buying a smoker that could do smaller batches of meat.

So lots of shopping, trying to understand pellets, and eggs, and electric smokers (that some purists say are just ovens).  About that time, visited a friend of mine in East Texas, and was having a beer after a day of sailing and talking about life in general.  Anyway, the smoker comes up and he says he has the best in the world.  Shows me his Cookshack Amerique, which he says makes him look like a smoker genius - with the quality of bbq it puts out.  With only a chunk of wood.  Plus it is all stainless, which is important as our house is on the water (salt).  So I get back and start reading up.  Reviews are good.  I'm all in - but wife is looking at price, and asking whether we really need that much capacity for two people.  Ok, good point.  But I want the controller with the integrated meat thermometer, and the ability to have temp drop down when meat is done, etc.  About to pull the trigger on the Amerique anyway, then run across some reviews for the Smokin-It grills.  Dang, looks like I can get everything I want in a 3D, including a better temp controller, and at around half the price.  Done.  Oh, and there's a cyber special now so I get some other goodies - even better!

Smoker arrived really well packed.  Did the seasoning - as per the instructions - and was mesmerized by the smoke chimney.  Glad I closed off the garage back door, so the interior contents didn't smell like my clothes!  So what to do for first meat?  Wife and I both love baby back ribs, and I've never been able to get them tender on the gas grill.  Wrapping in foil made them tender, but the fat was not rendered right.  Unfoiled, tougher than we'd like.  So lets see what the 3D can do with baby backs.  And found the recipe on the forum.  Remove the membrane, mustard, seasoning, overnight in fridge.  Foil lined the smoker.  Put a cooking grid in about mid height, and stretched out two full racks with room to spare.  Foil loaf pan with apple juice next to heat box.  Ready, go.

Opened everything back up 5-1/2 hours later.  Tried to remove meat with tongs, and one rack was sticking to the grid and came off in three pieces.  The other came off cleanly.  Which makes me believe maybe I cooked just a little too long.  (Recipe said 5:15-5:45, but also suggested checking before.  I skipped the "check before" because I didn't want to dump the heat, and delay things, because my wife was making a squash casserole in the house oven that had a specific done time.)

So how were they?  Definitely the best baby backs I have ever done.  Just a tad drier than perfection, but very tasty.  Again, I probably should have taken them out sooner, and next time will give them a check in advance.

One easy question though - do any of you spray the cooking grids with Pam, or use something else to keep meat from sticking.  I chose not too, as sometimes that spray can cook on and be hard to clean off.  The uncoated grid did clean off well with soap and water afterwards. 

Oh, second question.  What do you do if you'd like a little sauce flavor baked on?

For Christmas eve, am going to attempt a prime rib.  Need to do some reading up on that one.  Wife is loving the fact that I can do that on the smoker, which frees up the house oven for her to do whatever at the same time.  But of course, I will be under the gun to get the meat done at an exact time, to match whatever she has going on in the kitchen!

Howdy Michael from Victoria, Texas!  Yeah, just down the road from you.  Gonna love the 3D and all it can do.  I do not sauce my ribs so I cannot answer that for you but there are lots of good folks here that do.
Cleaning the rack?  I am a different animal on that.  I usually crank up the heat to 300* for a couple hours and burn off the rack.  When I use it again if there is any backed on bits hanging off the bottom, just wipe'em off with a paper towel.

I don't normally use Pam or anything of the like on my racks, but I think you could. I just loosen the ribs or butt  from the sides with a spatula and they come off pretty clean.

Then I scrape off the gunk with a steel wool pad and then wash in my dishwasher. They are slightly too large for the dishwasher, but when I shut the door, the racks slide up a little on the door and let me close the door.

If you want to sauce there are two ways of doing this:

1. Once you get to know the rough idea of when your ribs are done, you can sauce your ribs about 30 minutes prior to their done time and put back into the smoker for another 30 minutes. Many people recommend and prefer this method.

2. My preferred method is to smoke until done to my liking, remove and place on a cookie sheet, sauce the ribs, and then broil in the oven for 5 minutes or until the sauce is properly caramelized. I prefer this method because I find that the cookie sheet is easier to clean the caramelized sauce off then the smoker racks.

Welcome from Delaware, Michael!  You have found the right place and I am sure you will love your 3D.    As for BB ribs, I remove mine at about 4.5 hours and add BBQ sauce, then back in the smoker for another 45 minutes to an hour to finish.  The time to remove them, shut the door, etc does not remove a lot of the heat, and you will find that the unit rebounds to the desire heat level pretty quickly after putting the ribs back in the smoker.    As for the racks, I do not use any spray, but I do remove them after each smoke, let them soak and use a brush to remove any meat pieces from the racks.  For the side racks, I usually run those through the dishwasher once every three months or so.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome!  It sounds like you're going to love your 3D...  I sometimes wonder if I'm under-utilizing the space of my #2, so I totally understand why you didn't get excited about using your old smoker.

I've not had too much of a problem with sticking on the racks... I just nudge things a little and it tends to come right off.  My dishwasher lets me lay all of the tines down in the bottom basket, so I can actually put the racks in the dishwasher.

Welcome Michael. I don't spray and sticking is really very minimal. A large spatula and tongs  and I just wriggle the meat free. As for saucing, I do not.  Just a rub prior to the cook.  Enjoy the 3D.  Much deeper than the Amerique which is a real plus. 

Michael, I only use cooking spray/oil on the seafood racks when I'm smoking fish. Being in Port Aransas, I'm guessing you're going to be smoking some red snapper, ling, flounder, and amberjack soon!  Go grab a big slab of salmon from Sams and get to smoking until you can get out on the water!!!

Welcome!! Like you I did ribs for my first cook last week. I didn't spray the grates but I did use canola oil on my ribs prior to rub. Not sure if that helped keep them from sticking or not. But they came off clean.

As for sauce, I did my cook a little different from the website no peek method. I wrapped them in foil after 3 hours and sauced them at that point. Another 2 hours and pulled from foil and sauced again and let cook another 30 minutes. but I could have pulled them at 5 hours because they were done.

Next time, I'll probably sauce at 3 and 4 hours without wrapping just to see how that method comes. I don't necessarily like wet ribs, but I don't like dry as well. So, just how I plan on going.

Enjoy experimenting!

Welcome to Club Lazy Q, Michael!  Absolutely AWESOME introduction write-up!  Everyone should use that as an example!!

You are definitely off to a good start, and made a great decision on the 3D!  You can throw big packer briskets, and full racks of ribs, at it, and it won't blink an eye!  Like Dave (Old Sarge) said, much deeper than the Amerique.

A set of long BBQ tongues helps a lot with ribs, no matter how tender.  You can slide them under the whole rack and gently lift them.  I will sometimes oil the racks, but normally don't (goes against my Lazy Q lifestyle).

You are off to every man's dream of becoming a real Pit Master!  It's so easy with these units, so don't let our "little secret" get out! ;)

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the welcomes and great responses.  Great advice on the saucing methods and options.  I do have a large spatula, and can use that to work my way under the ribs and "unstick."  Just didn't think of that at the time, since I never had ribs come out this tender!  Yep, I probably need to get seafood rack at some point - for fish - but am more of an inshore fisherman (trout, redfish, flounder).  But we lived in Alaska for four years (about 25 years ago), and did develop an appetite for salmon.  That'll probably be the dominant fish smoke.  And since I have never done a brisket - which really seems to be wrong, being a Texas boy and such - that is on the list as well.

Welcome from East Texas Michael! I sauce my ribs at 4 hours and let them go another 30 minutes and then check them again for tenderness and pull them out and rest them for 30 minutes before slicing them. Works every time for me. This is for baby backs and st louis cut ribs, full spares may take as long as 7 hours. Congrats on the 3d, you made a great choice.

Jumanji said:
And since I have never done a brisket - which really seems to be wrong, being a Texas boy and such - that is on the list as well.

Don't be afraid... I just did one (for the first time) and it came out awesome with no fuss at all.  Reading here and listening to friends I was expecting to be frustrated, but it really couldn't have been much easier.

Jumanji said:
Yep, I probably need to get seafood rack at some point - for fish - but am more of an inshore fisherman (trout, redfish, flounder).  But we lived in Alaska for four years (about 25 years ago), and did develop an appetite for salmon.  That'll probably be the dominant fish smoke.

Michael, instead of the seafood racks, many of us prefer Q-MATZ. You buy the product by the foot, and cut to size. Just place them on your regular racks. They are non-stick, and really easy to clean. Much easier to deal with, and less expensive than the seafood racks.

SconnieQ said:
Jumanji said:
Yep, I probably need to get seafood rack at some point - for fish - but am more of an inshore fisherman (trout, redfish, flounder).  But we lived in Alaska for four years (about 25 years ago), and did develop an appetite for salmon.  That'll probably be the dominant fish smoke.

Michael, instead of the seafood racks, many of us prefer Q-MATZ. You buy the product by the foot, and cut to size. Just place them on your regular racks. They are non-stick, and really easy to clean. Much easier to deal with, and less expensive than the seafood racks.

+1.  Love mine!

Back