New #3 owner from bitterly cold MN

Wik

Hello - Just got my #3 earlier this week and performed the seasoning process.  Ready to try it out for the big college football game tomorrow.  Go NDSU Bison!

I may have some dumb questions down the road.  While I have some experience with country & summer sausages using old converted fridges with my father over the years, I have never smoked anything else.  I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this smoker when it arrived.  I just wish it was a bit taller for summer sausage.  (has anyone made any with these smokers?)  I guess I'll just have to create shorter tubes if I use this guy, as I just could see going to the #4.  But like anyone browsing for smokers I certainly did drool over it a bit.  But I just know I'm going to love this thing.  I love how deep it is.

Being a Home Brewer as well with a fairly automated electric system, I decided I also wanted the PID control for more control / options for set and forget it.  Can easily see getting the smoker going prior to starting Brew Day so they helpers can finish the day off with some BBQ and Beer.  Still awaiting that 2nd order with the PID to arrive, but that won't stop me from trying it out on its maiden voyage tomorrow.

Cheers,
Wik

Great purchase and welcome to the family! I am with you on a PID controller, so much more control over the heating. But even without it, these perform really well. Make sure you go to the Introductions and let everyone know a little about yourself. Oh and we all LOVE pictures of smokes.

Welcome, Wik!  You will have a lot of fun and good eats with your #3!  I would suggest trying out the unit a few times without the PID to see what kind of temperature swings you get...it's pretty normal to see 20 degree swings around your set point.  Then, when you try the PID you will be able to test the difference in the process.

Cheers!

Hey there... We're in the same boat!

I have some experience but new to SI3!!!!

I will take pictures.  Bad news (not really) I seasoned it int the garage with the man door opened and it wasn't enough to prevent stinking it up for the Mrs.

Need a slightly new plan....

@benjammn - Have to say I made a pork loin with a bit of bacon on the outside and some rub I had laying around.  Used a bit of homemade Brown Ale in a can to keep things moist in case the bacon wasn't enough.  All went smooth and turned out great.  Of course our family dug into it before I had a chance for a "after" picture.  Next time I'll try and document it a bit more especially on more adventurous recipes.

@swthorpe - Yah I think I'm thinking I'm going to probably add a switch allow to choose to by-pass the built in temperature control or not.  I'm thinking I don't want to always use the PID when it is sub zero outside as I'm assuming it probably is not good for it.  But for those days when I can't watch over it the whole time I think it will be great. 

I will be honest I was thinking about using this http://www.embeddedcc.com, as I believe I have heard of people using it for smokers as well as Beer Brewing setups.  Figured it would work for when I have to be behind a computer screen making a living instead of enjoying the outdoors next to the smoker.  But wanted to have something more plug and play.

@Polish Q - Funny thing is after seasoning I wheeled mine back into the garage and it didn't take long before it also had a nice aroma.  After my first real smoke I let it cool outside before moving it back in, but I'm sure that awesome aroma will still make it back into the garage.  So far I haven't had any complaints from my better half, but I'll have to keep it under control.

Attachments

• First Smoke.jpg
    First Smoke.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 324
Wow, congrats Wik on a great looking setup there!  You have FIVE beer taps in that picture! :-* :-* I don't know you, but I love you, man!  ;D  Oh, and the #3 with the loin looks great, too!  ;)

I can see you're gonna fit right in around here!!

Said day last week...  5 tap kegerator that you might notice in the background of previous attached picture sounded angry and I'm afraid compressor is out.  Let me tell you it is hard to find appliance repair shops that will touch commercial type stuff at a residential setting...

My guess is it isn't going to be cheap as I didn't ask once I finally found a service center that would come out. 
:(

Any guesses at what the damage will be?  I'm hoping less than my SI3 to get her bad to life, but I just have to do it...

Saga Continues :(
Still having issues with kegerator after 3rd trip, by they time I'm done I should have a new unit. 
1st trip - Compressor
2nd trip - leak at fill value / also decided to replace thin copper line in case wrong length / diameter due to repair prior to my purchase of it
3rd trip - Tiny leak in condenser coil

Tech Guys are great (maybe the home brew beer I've sent with them...). Just hoping there is an end to this soon...

I'll have a new unit under the covers yet...  Can't wait until I can trust it again to try some Dry Aging.  Already have the bags, but was going to use this kegerator for beer and dry aging.

Dang, Wik!  Not only is the beer sacrificing, but the dry-aging, too??  I feel your pain, brother!  One or the other, but NOT both!  Hope it gets sorted-out soon, and your trust is regained!

Back