New #1 Owner

acetsid

Hi everyone, just got my little guy Friday, Seasoned Saturday, Smokin some ribs today. Put them on at noon, can't wait to taste them.

Welcome from Texas! The #1 is a seriously good smoker. How about adding a first name and location to your posts. We're a pretty friendly bunch here. How did the ribs turn out?

Didn't set up my profile correctly. It should show up now, name is Alan from Hesperia, Ca. The ribs turned out FANTASTIC!!! A little salty because I didn't have any brown sugar for my rub. I used 2 small pieces of Apple Wood and a water/apple juice mix. So tender! I did open the door at 3 hours and then again at 5 hours. Took out at 5:20 hours. Had a taste and ate about 2 ribs before my wife reminded they were for dinner.

Congratulations on the successful rib smoke Adam. 8) 8) Were they baby back (loin), St. Louis cut or full spare ribs? If you pulled them out at 5 hours I'm guessing baby backs. I smoke my BBS 4.5 hours no peek then sauce them. Smoke another .5 hrs and done every time. Once again welcome to the forum.

Welcome from ND Alan and congrats on the first successful smoke! There are many more where this one came from. :)

They were St Louis so it may have been a little long, they tasted great but i think they lost some moisture. I put my water container next to the wood box but I don't think the water got hot enough soon enough. The foil on the wood box was probably keeping the heat from getting to the water. That is something I haven't seen in the forum yet, how to place the water container. I used a Weber bbq "loaf" pan and it fits ok on one side of the smoke box.

acetsid said:
They were St Louis so it may have been a little long, they tasted great but i think they lost some moisture. I put my water container next to the wood box but I don't think the water got hot enough soon enough. The foil on the wood box was probably keeping the heat from getting to the water. That is something I haven't seen in the forum yet, how to place the water container. I used a Weber bbq "loaf" pan and it fits ok on one side of the smoke box.

Actually, for St Loius cut and full spare ribs, you would typically want to go longer. For my spares, I typically like to go 6-7 hours at 225.

Thanks all. I will do more reading and smokin'. I am going to do chicken next so I can do a turkey on T-day. Going to Ucla-Usc game on 11/19 so I was thinking of doing the bacon wrapped jalapenos for that, they look delicious.

I buy the disposable aluminum loaf pans at the grocery store. I bend up the "lip" at the edge so it goes straight up, then snug it right up against the side of the wood box. You only foil the top of the wood box, so there wouldn't be any foil between your water pan and the wood box. No water pan needed for poultry. I agree with Gregg that your St Louis ribs probably went too short, not too long. They might not have been tender enough, so they seemed dry/chewy. I also go 6 to 7 hours at 225 for St. Louis. 4.5 to 5.5 for baby backs. Remember to wrap in foil and rest for at least 30 minutes when done.

Thanks SconnieQ. I had too much foil over the wood box. Not sure if I can stand to have pig candy wrapped up in foil on the counter screaming my name. But I will do that next time. They were great though.

Wrapping and resting is essential for making/keeping ribs moist. It is hard not to just dig in! I try to plan to get the ribs done 1-2 hours before mealtime. That way I can wrap in foil, then in a towel, and put them in a cooler. 1-2 hours in a cooler is what I shoot for anyway. If you do a brisket, a long wrap and rest in a cooler is even more important.

Trying some chicken breasts today (boneless). Brined with just K.Salt and water for about 4 hours. Just a little seasoning. Bought a neat little hand cart from Harbor Freight. One little piece of Apple wood.

The chicken turned out good. I am doing a pork butt right now, started about 4 hours ago. Temp at about 168. Will pull at 190 and wrap up in foil and a towel and put in a cooler. Sure smells good.

Back