Need some guidance

es1025

I will be smoking 4 racks of ribs and a pork butt for memorial day.

What rack should i smoke the ribs and butt. I plan on smoking at 240.

My gameplan would be to smoke the butt the first five hours and then wrap and add the ribs.

Should i consider increasing the temp from 240? Is 12 hours enough time for the cook? This could be an overnight smoke....

You have probably seen my thoughts on smoking two different items like that before, Ed. ;)

If I were doing it, I'd smoke the butt the day before, vac pack it and keep it in the fridge overnight.  It is the "big" variable!  You know how it is...if you really need an 8 lb butt to be done in 12 hours, it turns out to be the one that takes 16 or more!  I never like to count on a butt being done by a precise time. 

Ribs, however, (as you know, for sure), are kind of a "finite" deal.  You can definitely have them done by eatin' time on Memorial Day!  I would smoke the ribs that day, while reheating the pork butt in a big crock pot, on low.  If I vac pack a whole one, I actually wrap in 2 layers of foil, then vac bag it.  With it just being an overnight wait, probably don't even need to seal it.  Just throw the whole, wrapped, butt into the crock pot about 4 hours before dinner.  When the ribs are done, pull the pork and it's on like donkey Kong!

I'd agree with Tony on the butt being cooked the day before.......and Tom's just showing off:-)

You'd be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't think that second day pulled pork tastes better than same day anyway. 

Back