My "go-to" brine for salmon

steve g

I've used this brine recipe for many years, I got it from steelheader.net .  If you find it too salty, you can use 2/3 to 3/4 of the salt shown.  I smoke with alder chips. 

When I know I'll be eating most of it, I'll sprinkle some cayenne pepper just before smoking, but I have never had a complaint when I put it in the brine (barely detectable mild heat).  Mapeline is a brand name for an extract used to make maple syrup at home, it is worth the effort to find it.

Granny GutZ Smoked Fish Recipe
(Family Secret)
In a 5 gallon bucket -
1 Gallon warm water
2 Cups salt (I use morton's table salt)
2 Cups Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons garlic powder
8 Tablespoons onion powder
2 ounce bottle of mapeline
1 1/2 cups Karo Corn Syrup

Steve in Roseville, MN

I am not being negative because as you say you have used that brine for years....

But have you considered substituting pure maple syrup for the  2 ounce bottle of mapeline1 1/2 cups Karo Corn Syrup ? Also Kosher salt instead of iodized table salt.
Again i am not being critical just thinking about purer flavors. 

Nah, to each his own.  I've tried both kosher and table salt, never been able to notice any difference.  Pure maple syrup is kind of spendy, never actually tried it, though I probably should. 

I have an easily satisfied palate, I've hardly ever had a beer or wine that I didn't enjoy, either, so when I try something and like it, I don't mess with success.

Back