My first Spring smoke this coming weekend. St. Louis Ribs anyone?

MNGuy1959

Well, I cannot wait for some good St. Louis ribs this weekend (getting from Costco).  I will take a few pics and share.  Standard procedure:  smother with mustard, coat with Texas BBQ Rub (one of my favorites, I use the Original and Grand Champion rubs), set to 225 and in 5.5 or 6 hours, they will be done.  I do put some apple juice and beer in my water pan for moisture, and will take them off at the 4.5 hour mark (no peaking before) and slather with sauce. 

I have done the 3-2-1 method and just don't see the difference, as the #2 keeps the moisture in.  I don't like 'fall of the bone' ribs, but prefer them tender with a slight tug. 

There is a place up here in MN that makes an awesome sauce that I love:  www.demonpigbbq.com.

It has been almost a year since I last made ribs.  Any hints or suggestions are welcome.  My #2 does make some of the best ribs.  Oh, I am using cherry and apple chunks for smoke. 

MNGuy1959 said:
Well, I cannot wait for some good St. Louis ribs this weekend (getting from Costco).  I will take a few pics and share.  Standard procedure:  smother with mustard, coat with Texas BBQ Rub (one of my favorites, I use the Original and Grand Champion rubs), set to 225 and in 5.5 or 6 hours, they will be done.  I do put some apple juice and beer in my water pan for moisture, and will take them off at the 4.5 hour mark (no peaking before) and slather with sauce. 

I have done the 3-2-1 method and just don't see the difference, as the #2 keeps the moisture in.  I don't like 'fall of the bone' ribs, but prefer them tender with a slight tug. 

There is a place up here in MN that makes an awesome sauce that I love:  www.demonpigbbq.com.

It has been almost a year since I last made ribs.  Any hints or suggestions are welcome.  My #2 does make some of the best ribs.  Oh, I am using cherry and apple chunks for smoke.

Gene,

Looks like you have the plan down, enjoy the ribs!

Greg

Shoot, Gene, I know you know what you're doing!  Just jump back in - it's like riding a bike, but you don't sweat as much, and it tastes a lot better! ;)

Thanks guys.  I feel like I have been away from doing ribs for such a long time, that I needed some encouragement.  I stayed away from them this past Winter for two reasons:  I went on a diet  LOL...well lost a few lbs.....and it was to darn cold up here.  I want to treat myself to some good 'ol ribs this weekend, and I am so way over due.  I will post some pics on Saturday. 

I hope everyone has a great memorial day weekend! 

Back