My 1st brine and a pork loin comparison

jpowell

Decided to go with pork loin for the 2nd smoke in my 3D.  So, I bought an 11lb loin Saturday and hacked it in half ... half would be smoked with just a dry rub ... half would be brined with DivotMaker's recipe, then dry rub.
26843856396_316a187c45_b.jpg

Sunday morning, for Mother's Day, smoked the dry rub 1/2 after a night wrapped in mustard and Bad Byron's Butt Rub. I attempted to sear it on the gas grill and ... well, it turned into a bit of a flamefest.  It tasted really good regardless.
26623208650_f02c0898f1_b.jpg

I put the other 1/2 in the brine solution Sat night and let it sit in the fridge until Monday night.  I rinsed it, dried it, hit it with mustard and BB's Butt Rub and let it sit in the fridge until Tuesday late afternoon.
26848360546_b21621819d_b.jpg

Tossed it in the 3D with 3oz hickory this evening and pulled it at 140F IT.  I was going to attempt to sear it, but it was 8pm and fam was very hungry so just served it. 
OH MY WORD!! I sliced it up and the amount of juiciness was off the charts! I popped several slices in the microwave for 1min to make sure it was 145F+ and everyone's eye's lit up when we tasted it!  So juicy and the flavor was fantastic!
26338506193_75ee9e232e_b.jpg

So, I'm sold on brining now for pork loin and look forward to trying it on a butt soon!  The dry rub only tasted really good, brine/rub was a whole other level :-)

My experience brining my first pork loin was also just as surprising. Tender and juicy as tenderloin. Glad your experience is one of many successes to follow. Happy Smoking!

looks great. maybe on my list next.
how long did it take to cook?

why did you nuke to 145? do you cook to 140 or 145? what is appropriate?

tom

PS, one more question...... does pork loin taste more like a ham? or a pork chop? I don't remember the last time I had one

Took about 3hrs at 230F. I pulled it at 140F, but decided to nuke the slices to 145F since it looked so pink. Was soooo tasty!  We're actually just finishing it off tonight.

When brined it tastes more like ham.  Without brining it tasted more like pork chop IMO.

Outstanding, Jason!! ;D  You have experienced the magic!  Brining, if done properly, can absolutely take meat to another level!  I encourage you to read the Brining 101 post, under the Brining section, and learn all you can about this very useful tool.  I brine virtually all pork (except ribs, but do occasionally), all poultry and some beef (brisket and jerky).  I'm happy you liked the brine recipe! 8)

DivotMaker said:
Outstanding, Jason!! ;D  You have experienced the magic!  Brining, if done properly, can absolutely take meat to another level!  I encourage you to read the Brining 101 post, under the Brining section, and learn all you can about this very useful tool.  I brine virtually all pork (except ribs, but do occasionally), all poultry and some beef (brisket and jerky).  I'm happy you liked the brine recipe! 8)

Oh Geez! I totally never noticed there's a whole Brining section LoL and *facepalm*

Sounds like I also got a bit lucky leaving the loin in the brine 2 days. It was salty, but only 1 person commented on it (today at work) ... as they devoured their sample slice lol.

2 days is long, so yes, lucky.  That's why it was more "ham-like," too.  If you used the #1 curing salt, 2 days almost turned it into Canadian bacon!  I usually go no longer than 10-12 hours on whole loins.  Not sure if you used my butt brine, or the loin brine (I actually have a different one for loins).

DMs Brine for Pork Loin

Try that one sometime, and let me know what you think!  It's just a little different, but I like it better on loins.

I couldn't find the instacure stuff in our local store when I made the brine ... good thing in retrospect :-)
Yeah, I only saw your butt brine recipe.  I'll def try the loin recipe next time.  Thanks for the feedback!
I'm thinking I'll tackle my 1st brisket next.  Any suggestions on that before I start looking over the beef recipe section?

Jason, order a bag of Instacure #1 from Amazon...it'll last you forever (very small quantities used). 

Since you have a 3D, go for a whole "packer cut" brisket (point and flat together).  They smoke much better than just a flat.  I use my butt brine on them, or if they're really big, I give them a dusting of Morton's TenderQuick for a few hours (makes a great "faux" smoke ring), rinse, cover in yellow mustard and rub (beef rub of your choice - I like Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning on beef, but a blend of kosher salt and pepper works too), then smoke at 225 to an internal temp of 190-195.  Rest and slice!

This is what I got. Comes in a nice plastic container. Should last me a LONG time.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Prague-Powder/dp/B00C2PIC92/ref=pd_nav_hcs_bia_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=12A8VZNRXX0WA2R9Q0HP

Buy smaller quantities here (a little goes a long way!) reasonable prices, plus free shipping!
https://www.spicejungle.com/curing-salt

Ok, my experiment is for a 4.67lb pork loin. it is in the DM pork loin Marinade getting ready for tomorrow.

DM used 1.86 ounces of hickory.  but I was thinking of using apple. I tend to use a tad more wood than he does (he uses 2- .2.5 ounces of wood on ribs. I use 3 - 3.4 ounces. 

As apple is a lighter wood, do you think I should go 4-5  ounces? or do loins take  smoke faster than babybacks?

Tom

Both look great!  I brine almost everything now days.  It does make a difference.  Have a brined turkey in now!

Back