Model 3 wanna be

Pipe Rat

Wanted to do the right thing and introduce myself, My name is Doug and at 52 years old I bashfully admit I have never smoked anything in my life. I never wanted to tend a fire for 12 hours straight. Well I have discovered that this is no longer a necessity and have decided on a #3 model. Looking forward to them coming back in stock as I have been monitoring the website daily waiting to purchase one. I am in the St Louis metro area. Has anyone heard when the #3's will be back in stock?
Looking forward to learning from you guys. CYA

If I remember correctly the SI3 will be back in stock like TODAY! When I bought my SI2, the SI3 was supposed to be in stock on 11-25-14 if memory serves me well.

EDIT: I see its not listed on the site for sale yet. Have you contacted the owner? He is usually super fast in responding via email. Usually you will have a response in less than 24 hours.

Welcome, Pipe!  The nice thing about the SI folks is that when the #3 is back in stock, it only takes a couple of days for delivery.    We have a good forum on the site that also has helpful info on how to unpack and season the smoker when it arrives.  Welcome to the smokin-it family!  Cheers

Great choice, I love my #3. While nearly every smoke I do could be handled by a #2 that extra space in the #3 is awesome when needed.

Update......I am impressed that even though I asked this question on the website rather late last night the owner has already replied early on this Thanksgiving morning to let me know they are now expected to be in stock next week. Talk about personal attention.

I'm waiting for the #3 to be in stock again as well. As soon as I see it I'm ordering. Welcome and Happy Thanksgiving!

Glad to have you with us Pipe Rat!  You will love the #3, and will become a pit master in no time - just hang with us, and we'll getting you up to speed quick!  Your friends and family will think you've been smoking meat forever! ;D

Still checking in Daily for the #3. I hope I don't miss out on the current Holiday special when they finally get in stock. Does anyone know when the special ends? Never smoked a day in my life and now I can't wait to start. LOL

You won't regret waiting for the #3.

Regarding the holiday special, I would send Steve (owner) an email and ask him. I would think he would either honor the deal if it expires or do something for you for being patient while his supply is restocked.

Here is the email from the website: smokin.it.info@gmail.com

Welcome Pipe!  I agree, Steve is very customer focused.  I picked up my #3 at Steve's new location in Michigan in May.  Nothing but positive feedback on the whole experience.  Got a chance to talk with Steve for a while when I picked up the unit.  Actually he picked up the #3 and loaded it in my SUV himself.  Then threw in a few extras because he wanted to make my drive worth it.  Got the Auber too which I have grown to rely on completely.  You will definetly enjoy your SI smoker and the forum is a great place to learn the ins and outs making great Q.  Lots of great folks here willing to help. I have drawn on their experience several times during the year.

She's on the way. I went back and forth for a long while ordering the pid then canceling the pid, then ordering the pid then canceling the pid etc. LOL I finally just ordered the #3 with a cord hook and a prayer. Like I said I have never smoked before and I decided to get my feet wet first. I can always add goodies. Happy to be on board.

I do at least want to order a digital thermometer but wanted to research first. Is the Maverick the best choice?

Can anyone suggest a foolproof first smoke for a complete NOOB?

Maverick has treated me well so far.  Check reviews on amazon.com for that and others.

Print out the smoking Times and Temps and Wood Chart on this forum.  A great start. 

I have done two in bone turkey breasts and each turned out perfect. 

Want simple?  Try a sausage you would do on the grill or wings.  Each is pretty easy. 

Dont go nuts on the wood, these machines dont need much! 

Enjoy. 

John

Its hard to go wrong with a Maverick 733 or 732.

As far as first smoke recommendation, I always recommend a Boston Butt. They are virtually foolproof and taste excellent.

I would look in the Pork section for Divotmaker's pork butt brine.

I have a #3 and haven't bothered with an Auber yet, and I put out some damn good BBQ.

Congrats, Doug!  You will be amazed at what you're about to be capable of making!  I'm with Gregg - a bone-in Boston butt for pulled pork is my hands-down favorite "first smoke!"  The Boston butt is very forgiving, and it gives you a good, long, smoke to really test that bad boy out!  Almost impossible to mess up a butt, if you follow a proven recipe!  Here's how I do pork butts...pretty simple process, with great results!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

The key to learning is to follow some "known" winners, i.e., proven recipes.  Duplicate them, and then add your own "flare" when you master the basics (which won't take long).  The learning curve is much easier than it used to be, with so many great recipes here!

Follow the guides for what to do when it arrives, and basics for beginners, and lots of your questions will be answered! 

Glad to (almost) have you on board! ;)

My smoker arrived really fast and I was very disappointed that it had a rather large dent in it but what do you do? Sheet happens and its too large and bulky to make a big deal shipping it back and the condition of the box didn't undeniably point to the shipper so who knows where it happened. I didn't bother anyone with it as it's not gonna effect the performance.

I did my first smoke ever (Pork Butt) and it turned out awesome. So all is good. Awesome product.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    393.8 KB · Views: 285
Back