Model 2 not working out of the box

Plan2build

So, I received my model 2 several days ago and have been collecting information to install the permanent probe and a bypass switch to run my Auber.  I removed the back cover and insulation to prepare for the probe install first.  Step one was to power the unit on to make sure everything worked.  I was disappointed this was not the case.  With the back panel off, I tested all the circuits and traced the hot wires to the fault.  From the factory, one of the connections from the smoker power cord to the heat element was disconnected INSIDE the shrinkwrap >:(

I know I saw another member had the same issue but I cannot find that post.  I went ahead and fixed the the problem, but it is getting late and my project is on hold till tomorrow.  I am just throwing this out there as it is a simple fix, albeit one that should not be necessary.

On a second note, I was wondering what type of wire folks are using for the bypass or switch circuits?  The wiring in the smoker is nice and flexible, with a cloth-like insulation.  Does anyone know what the gauge wire is or where I can pick up a spool of this wire?

P2B

Attachments

• IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 352
Gregor, sorry to hear your SI #2 isn't working out of the box. I wonder if shipping vibrations and jostling just caused the wire to break loose. I'll be curious to see the answers for the wire recommendations. I plan to pull apart my unit and install a bypass when it warms up a bit around these parts.

The wiring with the cloth-like insulation is high temperature wire as are the stock connectors without the plastic insulators on them. This is the same type of wiring that is used in stoves and ovens. I haven't installed a bypass switch yet but plan on doing so. I've questioned using the THHN wire. I'm going to go to the local appliance parts supply store and get a couple feet of the hi-temp wire and connectors when I install my bypass switch.   

Try Amazon. They have many different high temp wires in different sizes. Sell from $10-30.

I think the THHN only goes to about 200 degrees.

I really wonder how hot it gets back there.

I'm willing to bet if you contact SI he will overnite you anything that is broken. My buddy who turned me on to SI had a bad heating element out of the box, called SI and had a new one the next day.

I got the smoker all fixed and put new crimps and shrink wrap on the leads to the power cord.  She is good as new (well she is new and unused!).

For the internal bypass wiring, I used 14 THHN stranded.  I have an older roll of this as well as a new one.  The older roll is rated to 105C and this one is AWM90.  No difference in the material number on the wire itself.  Lets assume 90 minimum to 105 maximum will be a range of 194-221F.  Remember that we are typically smoking under 250F and there are two of the three layers of insulation between the interior and the wires, so I do not think the temps will exceed the minimum of the range stated above (although I have no data to prove that).  Also note that although the leads to the coil and controller are white cloth insulated wires, the ground lead and the black leads to the indicator light are your basic nylon insulation....same as the THHN.  I think this will be alright for me but use your own discretion on what you are comfortable with.

I am going to post some pics of my probe installation and bypass on the auber thread.  Thanks for all the help folks!!

P2B

Glad to hear it is working well. When I got mine the box was beat up as well as the foam and metal support rods. However the unit was perfect. Just give you an idea of the beating these things take during shipment.
Now dont mess around...get smoking and good luck.

Rare deal, Gregor!  But, sounds like you handled it like a sport!  Some people would have trashed Steve and SI, and it's nice you didn't!  These things are made by people, and people make mistakes.  Quality control is pretty good, overall, but nothing is perfect.  Steve actually inspects EVERY smoker before it's shipped out, but a disconnected power wire is something he could never catch, without taking the back off.

Now, get to smoking! ;)

Back