Mixed Results

raymondzachary

DivotMaker suggested the following be posted here:
My name is Raymond Zachary and this is my story---

I have been smoking meats for about five years but only in a Little Chief. Generally that was successful although it required reloading the chip pan at least once to allow for very slow cooking to get to 165 degrees for chicken parts. Other meats were always cooked well enough and were succulent. When I moved from California to Austin I brought my antiquated Jennair Grill and refurbished it but eventually paid a fellow to come get it for recycle. I now have a new BroilKing from Canada and tried using a smokebox to smoke while cooking but found that to be unworkable and decided to use the BroilKing for grilling/barbecue only.

After weeks of research I bought a Smokin-It #1 and mounted it to a rolling butcher-block table. I downloaded and printed the cooking, temps, times, and woods chart from the Smokin-It forum. I measured out appropriate ounces of chips. I purchased and tested out a Maverick probe, transmitter, and receiver set. I lined the bottom of the chamber with Aluminum foil as well as the top of the smoke box. I read a number of websites and downloaded various rubs for beef, pork, and chicken. I mixed and stored containers of the rubs.

So now I think I am ready! I buy the meats and deal with them in the following order.
1. 2 lb. brisket smoked until internal temp of 190 was reached------dried out and tough as jerky. Baxter, the dog, is much less discriminating.
2. Whole chicken smoked until internal of 165 was reached-----excellent taste, tender, and juicy
3. 1.5 lb. pork tenderloin until internal temp of 150 was reached----excellent taste, reasonably tender, but a little too dry (my expert son thought it was just fine)
4. 2 lb. brisket smoked until internal temp of 145 was reached---- excellent taste but tough as boot leather. Placed boot leather into crock pot with ample water and beef bouillon and cooked for two more hours with some improvement to tenderness.

So now I have some observations:
1. I do not understand why the brisket should be driven to 190 when steaks can be grilled to only 140. I have read that somehow the fat breaks down over time but what happens to the meat fiber (mummification?) during that lengthy process?
2. I know that if I buy Prime beef I get much better results than with Choice but I am not sure that is a panacea for all problems. I do not believe all the famous barbecue houses around Austin whose wares I have sampled got there by buying Prime brisket.
3. It has been suggested that I parboil brisket before smoking it to tenderize it. Alternatively I could cook it in the crock-pot for a few hours to get the same effect.
4. It is possible I do not have a clue what I am doing and those who do it well may have had to do some experimenting to get to their lofty status. Education is not quick or cheap.

Comments and criticism are welcome. Thanks for the opportunity to whine.

PS: I think it would be better to pay a little more to get a better rheostat for the heater as  it varies a lot and is hard to maintain oven temperature closely.

RZ

Hi Ray, welcome to the forum.  Smoking meat successfully is some times in the small details, small being an important word.  Your attempts with mini briskets are failures just waiting to happen.  Smoking brisket, which is a naturally tough as shoe leather cut of meat, requires fat to help breakdown the tough muscle fibers.  Most here, cook larger, full briskets that have the higher fat content to get that fabulous result.  As you referenced Austin smokehouses, they are never going to smoke 2lbs briskets in the house smokers.

Understanding how meat goes from tough to tender will help you with your question about 190+ internal temps.  A ribeye or tenderloin is a tender cut of meat and can be cooked to internal temps of 130ish to 140 for a beautiful rare to medium rare.  Tough cuts, however, need to be cooked into submission by dissolving the tough muscle fibers.  At this point, I would say that your mixed results are par with learning a new craft and I'm confident that as you continue to learn, your results will continue to improve.  There is a lot of smoking experience here and we all have a little different opinion of what makes the best Q.  You will just have to ask and try the various techniques we post here to see what works best for you.

Again, welcome to the group.

RZ,

For you next try at brisket go with a piece that is 8-11 lbs.

While you could just smoke the brisket, I would brine or inject or do both. Then make sure to take the brisket to 195 degrees and you will end up with a excellent meal.

Greg

Hi RZ!  Glad you got this out for the gang to see!

Dave and Greg, as usual, are "spot-on!"  You really need to leave those itty-bitty briskies in the meat counter, so some unsuspecting "non-smoker" will buy them to put in a crock pot.  Absolutely nothing but an exercise in frustration to try and get a small one right!  Just ain't gonna happen.

If you are really wanting to smoke brisket, first choice is a "packer cut," or what some call a "whole" brisket.  This includes the flat and the point muscles.  The flat is more lien (which makes it harder to smoke right), and the point is fattier (which makes it easier).  Do some research on brining and/or injecting - both are great techniques to help with brisket!  If you only find a brisket flat, get as big of one as will fit in the smoker (7-8 lbs, probably).  Whole briskets will have to be cut in half, in the #1.  I put the thick (point) end on the lower shelf, and the thinner flat end up top.  This evens-out the cooking.

Keep doing what you're doing with chicken.  Not sure if you brine or not, but you should check it out, if you don't.  Same with your pork tenderloins, loins and butts.  You can also keep those tenderloins juicy by smoking them low and slow (225) to 140 internal temp, then give them a "reverse sear" on the grill to finish the outside.  The goal is to keep the IT at 145.  Moist and tender!

Lots to learn about briskets, and there are lots of techniques in the Beef section.  Let us know how we can help in your journey to the perfect brisket! 8)

Thanks to all of you. I suspected that all the recipes and instructions were designed for larger cut of brisket but I was reluctant to risk too much meat when I was not sure what I was doing. Cutting the larger brisket in half with the larger piece on the bottom is workable. Brining is a worthy approach that I need to learn. Treating ribeye and tenderloin differently makes a lot of sense. I think getting the fattiest brisket possible is the target to provide the tenderizing you mention.  Many many thanks gentlemen.
Ray Z.

Hey RZ I too have the little guy, Recently I purchased 2 briskets from Sam's they were a little over 14lbs and I split them and froze them. Do you have a restaurant depot in Austin? If so you can join the KCBS club for $35 per year. Then print out a coupon to visit the restaurant depot on a daily basis. Their briskets run around $3.79 per pound. They normally just sell to restaurant owners. I recently did a pork butt and was out of this world. Good luck with your smokes

Back