meat grinder suggestions

paidin

I currently have this chinese meat grinder that I bought off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/STX-MAGNUM-1800W-AIR-COOLED-ELECTRIC-MEAT-GRINDER-3-YEAR-100-GUARANTEE-/231040199436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cb11ab0c

I am considering selling it on craigslist and buying a cabelas meat grinder.  Does anyone have experience with the cabelas grinders?  What kind of meat grinders do you guys use?

This is what I have, http://www.lemproducts.com/product/lem-8-electric-grinder/processing-essentials
I got it at Bass Pro cheaper than buying through the LEM website and didn't have to pay shipping. I originally wanted a larger model but couldn't afford the $150-$250, more. This grinder has been fantastic. It will put out the grind almost quicker than I can feed it. The feed chute and grinder blade are not huge but if you size your trim to fit the chute there are no issues. Often we cut the meat in long strips that will fit and it feeds itself. It makes short wok of 50 pounds. LEM says it grinds 6 pounds a minute but if cut to size I believe I could feed it closer to 10 pounds a minute.  The trick is having the meat small enough that you don't have to stop and push it in with the plunger. If you really feel you need something bigger go with the #12. I have the attachments that I can grind sausage or burger directly into the freezer bags http://www.lemproducts.com/product/ground-meat-packaging-system-with-tube/meat-bags-tape it is a huge time saver. You do the first grind then as you do the second grind it goes directly into the bag, pretty sweet. I also have this http://www.lemproducts.com/product/grinder-foot-switch I would not want to use the bag feeder attachment without the foot switch. This might be more information than you needed but I wanted you to know what works for me. The only drawback of the #8 grinder is it will only take a #25 pound mixer not a #50. http://www.lemproducts.com/product/tilt-mixer-25-lb I haven't bought a mixer yet but if I ever do I can live with a #25 pound batch.

We use the attachment for the KitchenAid stand mixer as well as our Cuisinart food processor.  Just depends upon what we desire. I am a big fan of using the Cuisinart as it is quicker although results are not always uniform.

Paidin, are you not satisfied with your current grinder for some reason?  I ask because I have the STX Turboforce 3000 from the same vendor and it has been flawless.  I have found it to be heavy duty and pretty reliable.

that LEM 50 pound mixer has me itching to spend more money...

My current grinder does trip every once in a while.  I am worried about the durability.  I want a grinder that I can just toss meat in and not worry about anything.  Seeing those videos on youtube of those 1hp+ grinders is awesome.

I ended up ordering this yesterday http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Guide-Series-12-Stainless-Steel-Electric-Meat-Grinder-3/4-HP-Motor&i=694480&r=view
using a coupon to get it about $299 plus tax and free shipping.  I cannot find much info on these gander mountain grinders.  All I can do is look at the pictures and they look similar to the cabelas one but about $100 cheaper.

Another strange thing is that the pictures and specs look identical to this one:
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gander-Mountain-12-Stainless-Steel-Electric-Meat-Grinder&i=754159
but that is $429.  I wonder what the difference is.  If the one I bought does not do what I need, I will return it and wait for black friday to pick up the Cabelas grinder.

Here ya go..  LOL

Heavy duty cast iron Table Mount Meat Grinder #22
[822-MG]
$49.99

Attachments

• 822mg-232x300.jpg
    822mg-232x300.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 305
Wreck it Ralph said:
Here ya go..  LOL

[822-MG]
$49.99

What's the "horsepower" rating on that?  lol!  It would definitely be "variable speed," if I were using it! :o

DivotMaker said:
Wreck it Ralph said:
Here ya go..  LOL

[822-MG]
$49.99

What's the "horsepower" rating on that?  lol!  It would definitely be "variable speed," if I were using it! :o
A little humor now and then never heard anyone.  On the serious side how about that Gander Mountain with two different prices and how about paidin talking about Black Friday shopping, wow.  :-\

I use to recommend LEM, but not anymore!
I wouldn't buy any of their products now!!!
The quality of their products sucks and their customer service is atrocious!!!!

I had a problem with the Big Bite grinder and they gave me the runaround for a couple weeks until I threatened them with a bad review....all over a $4.00 part.

The 5 lb. stuffer I got from them is a pain in the butt....the piston has to be screwed on in a certain way or the cylinder ban not be pulled out below the piston because the air release valve hits on the upper frame!!!! I hate it!! Never had a problem with the Grizzly 5 lb. stuffier I had.

I bought a LEM /#12 stainless steel manual grinder for camp and that was nothing but a total piece of junk.
The collar would not screw on far enough to bring the the knife up tight against the the plate, making the grinder totally worthless.
That got sent back.

I bought a 1/4" grinding plate from them and a flake of metal came off the face of the plate the first time I used it!!! Ruined a batch of sausage!
I've never had anything like that happen before.

I also ordered a product that was purported to be in stock and found out that it'd be back ordered for 6 months...it ended up being 8 months!!! Very inconsiderate of them!!!!

I'm done with LEM!

Here's a good thread to read before buying anything from LEM.....
Is my LEM a LEMON???
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/177047/is-my-lem-a-lemon

Buy from Cabela's!!!

Wow Martin sorry for your frustration, but I have to say I love my LEM. I have the #8 Stainless Steel and the 5 pound stuffer. I have never had an issue with either. They have severed me well for
2 Buffalo, 5 & 1/2 Pigs, 8 Deer but I will keep an eye on them. I wanted to express my confidence in LEM with the same passion you hate it,  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I counted right.  :)

I installed the grinder part that LEM finally sent and I'm still not happy with the grinder.
It's for sale if anyone near Elmira, NY is looking for a #12 grinder.
A bit over a year old....$375 firm!
I'm going to buy a Cabela's.

Pork Belly said:
Wow Martin sorry for your frustration, but I have to say I love my LEM. I have the #8 Stainless Steel and the 5 pound stuffer. I have never had an issue with either. They have severed me well for
2 Buffalo, 5 & 1/2 Pigs, 8 Deer but I will keep an eye on them. I wanted to express my confidence in LEM with the same passion you hate it,  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I counted right.  :)

The grinder will definitely grind, there's no problem with that!
I just don't like junky "stainless steel" rubbing off in the meat.

Where on the unit was it galling? I use an aftermarket knife of better quality with the LEM Faceplate which may contribute to my success.

I use this 3/4 hp Grinder from Cabelas

Cabela's Commercial 3/4 HP Meat Grinder

We put between 300 - 400 lbs of venison through this thing every year at Deer Camp and it has yet to miss a beat.  It's a little expensive but I have found that when it comes to something that you depend on, its best not to go cheap.  I have also found that you want to make sure to get a grinder that is big enough to keep up with your needs.  One can waste a lot of time waiting on a grinder that is too small for how they use it.  3/4 hp model does OK with our 3 man operation but I wish I would have gotten the 1 hp model just to help speed up the process. 

gregbooras said:
I have the $100 add-on for the KitchenAid stand mixer.

Greg

Ditto. I love that meat grinder for my Kitchen-Aid. I've put probably over 100lbs of venison through it in the couple of years I've had it. I find that the key to consistent, smooth grinding is to keep the meat chilled, on the verge of frozen, to allow the fat and tissue to not "gum up" the works.

Back