Maybe Boston Butt for first smoke...

elkins20

Ok I need help, I have read several posts on the BB and all say to brine. I really don't want to brine but do want a decent BB when finished. Was going to use the mustard and the Texas original bbq rub letting it hang out in the fridge for 24hrs. The BB weighs 7.4 lbs. and am thinking about 12 hrs. smoking and 1 hr. rest in the cooler. Will cook to internal temp. of 200IT suggested for pulling as going to package and freeze for sandwiches. How do you all feel about injecting the BB? Also seems like Tony had a good recipe for injecting a BB but don't remember where I seen it? Help!!!!
Also going to cook some beans along with it. Will use the lower rack for the Butt and the upper rake for the beans. Also in the loaf pan will just use water.
Thanks for the help everyone,

Bill,

The great thing about a Boston butt is you can't go wrong, no matter how you do it!  I would recommend you do your first one as you've outlined; no injection or brine, just a rest overnight in the fridge with the rub to "get happy!"  This will give you a great baseline for the future!  The Boston butt has so much internal fat and connective tissue that it will be moist and tender, no matter which method you use!

Once you get the "basics" down, you can move to more advanced techniques, like brining and injecting.  I, for one, was a little scared of the whole "brining" thing, and put off trying it for a long time.  Once I overcame that fear, and jumped into it, I realized that it was not hard, and I believe the results are well-worth the effort.  Get this first butt smoke done, and then try brining later.  With a butt, I don't brine and inject - just brine.  No need to add extra work to a butt for pulled pork, at least in my opinion.

Thanks, Tony also can't see the 48 hours prep. Maybe my math is wrong, but you brine let it rest in the fridge, then mustard and rub with another happy time in the fridge. Was thinking just do the inject, and mustard and rub. Also not a lot of room in the fridge for a large container.

Bill, everyone tends to gravitate to what they like and invest the amount of effort they feel comfortable with.  That being said, some brine overnight, rinse, rub and into the smoker in the morning.  A 12 pack size ice chest and a bag of ice makes a great overnight brining vessel if you don't have room in the frig.  I have just recently adapted the brine and inject method because I think the brine seals the surface and the injection makes a meat juice balloon out of the butt.  I've been doing butts a long time and I think these have been my best but everyone should start with something they feel comfortable with and build on it. 

Thanks Dave, and I printed out your recipe for the injection. Did not think about using a cooler with ice and brine that way. And the new fridge is huge but the boss said to get a french door model, with freezer on the bottom and a middle drawer. Which ribs will fit nicely in there getting happy with the mustard and rub. So you just brine for 12 hours rather than overnight? Then how long do you let them rest with the rub? That is where I am getting confused I am pretty sure I have a cooler, so could put the butt in a ziplock with the brine, then into the chest. Thanks for the help Dave...

You'll find 100 different ways to do a butt and the main reason is...you have to TRY to mess them up.  I once put one in for an overnight cook (when I did them in the oven) and went to bed.  Imagine my surprise when the IT monitor alarm went off at 4am...I had set the oven at 350 instead of 250 and it came out fine.

That being said, how I prep depends on my schedule for the prep day(s).  Ideally I brine overnight, rub in the morning and let it hang out until evening/night depending on a 2hr/lb smoke time and a 2 hour rest before I'm ready to eat. 

Based on a theory that I think Divot posted, brining and a long rub period might be redundant.  The brine has the same molecular effect on the meat surface as a prolonged rub.  My brined butts get rubbed and go almost immediately into the smoker. 

Changed my mind going with a slab of ribs. Will use about 2 oz of oak and 1 oz of hickory. Do the 4.5 hr. no peak. Slather with Sauce and cook for another half any hour do the toothpick check. If not done will let cook another 30 min.

Dont forget the juice / water box.

Let it sit for 4:45 hrs at 230 sauce for last 45 min to hour.

Rest, eat, wrap other for leftovers on the gasser.

Actually the left overs will be breakfast in the am with the coffee. Love cold ribs in the am with hot coffee. But, then again a great breakfast is Italian Sausage pizza cold with coffee.  :P

OK foiled the little guy this morning and the top of the wood container. Added a container of water as did not have any juice, did have beer but that is for my tummy.  ;D Ribs and a potato went in at 10:00am cooking at 235 I hope. I set the dial on the 1st mark past the 225 point. I did add a little more rub as when I took them out of the fridge they looked like a paste was on them. The before photos will try and add here...

Attachments

• WP_000071.jpg
    WP_000071.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 321
  • WP_000070.jpg
    WP_000070.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 299
Just looked at the ribs and added Gates original BBQ sauce. They looked really good had pulled away from the bone. Going to leave them another 35 min. Just to glaze the sauce. I will take photos when they come out of the smoker. And don't you know forgot to squeeze the potato to see if it was done.  :o

The ribs had a good flavor, my Dad said they were really good. I gave him the short ends with 6 bones. I kept the others and the potato. The only problem I seen was the bark came off when I cut the ribs. But, they were really tender, also very little grease in the drip pan. Also one of the wood chunks was completely gone and the other was just chard a little. The one that was gone was towards the front of the smoker. Maybe will put one in the center and one in the end towards the door. Any help on why the bark would be mushy and come off when cutting the meat. Also learned that need to pull the membrane before adding the mustard and rub. I might have put too much mustard on them.. Help!!

Attachments

• WP_000072.jpg
    WP_000072.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 320
  • WP_000073.jpg
    WP_000073.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 346
Bill,
Just a guess but it looks like you put the sauce on thick enough to breakdown your bark.  Try doing a reverse sear if you want to do a sauce glaze.  35 minutes in a moist environment probably turned your bark back into wet rub.

Thanks Dave, Yes put the sauce in then closed them back in the smoker. They were in there over an hour. As had to take some to my Dad's Next time will pull them both at the same time. I can fire up my little smoky joe and sear them on it. I might just add the sauce when ready to eat also.

Back