Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth in the works.....

DiggingDogFarm

This looks interesting.
Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth Thermometer coming in January 2015.
Accepts up to four probes.

http://www.firecraft.com/product/maverick-et-735-bluetooth-thermometer-black/low-dollar-accessoies

~Martin

Wow!  That does look cool!  Wonder what the Bluetooth range is?  I didn't see it in the ad.  I also wonder if the new probes will retrofit into the 732/733?

Good questions.
I expect the range to be limited, but who in their right mind wonders far from BBQ and the like anyway?  ;D
My hope is that the probes are robust and naturally moisture resistant!!!!!!
I'll give FireCraft a call sometime soon and ask...maybe they'll know.
They're good folks....I've bought a lot from them in the past year.

~Martin

Well, I'm returning my ET-733 now and will probably wait for the ET-735. My ET-733 receiver LCD screen was having strange issues where the LCD was very dim and unreadable at certain angles of viewing (like looking straight at it). I called the manufacturer and they mentioned they had a few "bad" batches discovered with that defect. Thanks to Amazon Prime the return process should be pretty easy (and free!). I have it packaged and ready to drop off for return at my nearest convenience now.

What baffles me is why Maverick don't just go to a bluetooth/wifi combo version. Bluetooth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy) has evolved quite a bit lately and can exceed ranges greater than 100meters (330 feet) with very low power usage. But, like a cell phone, I could get at least a few days using Wifi and really unleash the power of these things! Rechargeable batteries are the world we live it now and I don't mind them. If it also accepted wall power it could be that much better!

With a Wifi version I could be at work (many miles away) and remotely monitor how my BBQ dinner is coming along and giving me a good excuse to leave early! Unfortunately, I don't think that is gonna happen with the Bluetooth only version.

Tappaque does the WIFI thing.  I believe forum member WIK has one if you would like more info.  There is a thread wrt.

Yeah...still an open market out there in terms of a remote thermometer that really shines.
I'm going to pass on the 735 for now...I'll wait and see how folks like it......just ordered another 732...far from perfect but a known entity.

What I don't like about the Tappecue is the pitiful warranty relative to the cost..just 90 days...if it's such a great, dependable product why doesn't the warranty reflect that????......at least a year would be nice!!!!!

DiggingDogFarm said:
....just ordered another 732...far from perfect but a known entity.

My thoughts, exactly!  Not sexy, with all the bells and whistles, but it just "works!"  Solid performer.

DiggingDogFarm said:
I point a video camera at the smoker...the thermometer...the whole deal and call that "a well rounded remote experience!"  :)

Now if you could just incorporate "Smell-O-Vision" into that camera! ;) ;D

Any updates on these yet? Wifey ordered me one for Christmas from FireCraft but its not here yet. I'm without a thermometer and ribs are calling my name...

I'm waiting for these to come out, because my probes are pretty much shot and I want these probes for my 733. It might take a little while after the actual units start shipping. But I would think it wouldn't be too long afterward where you should be able to order replacement probes.

JD...go ahead with your ribs!  You don't need to monitor IT for ribs, just allow about 5.5 hours and you should be fine.  When you get to poultry, BBs, pork loins, etc, then you will want the Maverick in place to monitor the IT of the meat.

So I emailed FireCraft and they responded SUPER quick. Here's what they said:

Hi Josh,

I apologize for the delay, we’re itching to get our hands on the new ET 735’s as well.  We were fortunate enough to get a look at a prototype a while ago but not for long.  Currently, Maverick is telling us to expect our batch to arrive around the end of the month.  Please feel free to let me know if there is anything further I can do for you in the meantime.

Thanks Josh,

www.FireCraft.com
1-800-745-6109

I really want to see some reviews on this thing. I'm curious about the distance it goes with bluetooth and the waterproof probes. I also like Martin's idea with the webcam for when I'm away so I'm going to use that method for long smokes and I'm away from the house.

Most bluetooth devices are usually limited to about 30 feet unless there is some kind of amplifier. I will be interested also to see what they do. Masterbuilt has a wireless remote in their newer smokers and my experience with them is in the 30 foot range, but it also depends on obstacles like walls that can lower the distance.

Back