Maple Bacon

BedouinBob

I needed some more bacon so I used Pork Belly's basic bacon recipe for the rub. Dutifully turned the bellies for 7 days, rinsed and into the frig for 6 hours, and then into the smoker at 100 deg for 2 hours with 4 oz of maple. Then kicked the temp to 200 deg to and IT of 150. The result was great as usual. The bellies were a little thinner than I would normally want but it was what I could get at the time. I will be watching Costco to see if I can find better bellies for another batch. Overall though I can get consistent results with this recipe and I haven't had store bought in years.  :)

Attachments

• Before Smoke.JPG
    Before Smoke.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 308
  • After Smoke.JPG
    After Smoke.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 288
  • Slices.JPG
    Slices.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 313
I totally understand! That is what motivated me to do some even though I couldn't find the bellies I wanted. These were thinner than I like but they still make good bacon.

You are right, Costco has the best bellies I've seen. Around 10 pounds. And good thickness. Skinless though. I prefer smoking with skinless for bacon.

BedouinBob said:
Skins are easy to remove. I would take skinless though, if I could find them. They would be easier to process.

I am fortunate to have 2 good local sources for pork belly, so I can get skinless or skin-on. I prefer skin-on when I make braised pork belly for Momofuku's pork belly buns. The skin just melts in your mouth after braising.

Keri, totally agree when braised..... When smoked, however, it turn to leather. I think I may try adding the smoked skins to beans for flavor though. I am pretty sure it will stay tough after the smoke treatment so I'll just pull the skin out when beans are done.

I've seen recipes where people smoke bacon with skin on, then remove the skin after smoking. I want the smoke all around my slice of bacon, so I'd rather remove it before smoking. I like the idea of smoking the leftover skin though, and adding to beans for flavor. You might have to remove large pieces of skin if it doesn't soften up, but you could also try dicing up really fine. When it is nice and soft, it IS delicious.

I want the smoke all around my slice of bacon, so I'd rather remove it before smoking.

Do what you think is best but:
Smoke goes through the skin, you wont have one sided tasting food.
The skin will come off easier and with less waste when hot than raw.
The smoked skin can be placed in beans or cut into strips for dog treats.

Back