Low and slow Pork Butt

Kidddr

First pork butt in my 3.5D 10LBS injected and rubbed with Chris Lilly recipe from this site. 225F with mixed SI Hickory and Cherry 3 oz of each. added a pan of apple juice and sliced apples to the bottom shelf and the butt is on the center rack. put it in at 6:30PM last night 6/17/2023 planning on a 20 hour cook. This morning at 6:45am we were at 174F so I put it in a foil pan with some butter and apple juice and coved with foil. Cooking to an IT of 203F then out for a rest and back in at 140F to hold until ready to eat at 3pm. almost 9am here now and we are at 189F so the 2 hour per pound is off a little for me. But always better to be done early than be done late. I will post finished picture when its time to pull the pork.

Attachments

Fantastic!  My mouth is watering just looking at the pic!    I am sure this was a very enjoyable meal, and I like the mixture of hickory and cherry.  The 18 hours to finish sounds spot on -- as a general rule of thumb, I estimate 1.5 hours per pound, and add extra time to finish early without rushing the meat.

Great job!  I see a second butt going into the 3.5D in your near future!  Cheers

Back