long smoke for baby back ribs

dcrobbins

Hi all

My family enjoys fall-off-the-bone tender ribs, so to I tried an extra long smoke to see what would happen.  I went with 1 rack rubbed with yellow mustard & Famous Dave's Rib Rub.  Center rack of my #2, about 230 degrees.  I left them in for 6.5 hours, no peek, then pulled em out, brushed with sauce and put on a very hot grill for just a few seconds to caramelize. 

This is about an hour more than what I see most people here do, but they came out great!  Maybe it's just what we prefer, or maybe my smoker runs a little cooler than others- either way, I'm going to stick with longer times for my ribs. 

Dan,

Have you done a base line temp on your smoker.....

I know most folks do not, but I think it is a good idea. If your smoker is running cooler, you can adjust the set temp.

I also have a #2 and here are my results.

Greg

If it works for you, Dan, go for it!  Everyone's times are just a guideline - we all need to find what works for us!

DivotMaker said:
If it works for you, Dan, go for it!  Everyone's times are just a guideline - we all need to find what works for us!
Know if we could just get every meat to cook the same as the last. 

SuperDave said:
Now if we could just get every meat to cook the same as the last.

Ha!  It'll never happen, but that's what keeps BBQ so fun - the unknown!!  If it was cookie-cutter accurate, like baking, it would be boring!

Back