Large Pork Butt in the #2

BedouinBob

Before I got into the turkey fixin's I decided to give Divotmaker's pork butt brine (Thanks Tony!). I had a 10.5 pound pork butt that I brined for about 15 hours. I used the no salt Memphis rub and mustard binder. Placed the butt in the SI#2 at 1830 with 5 oz of hickory chips and just water for the moisture. Set the temperature to 225 and let it go until 1930 the following day (yes, 25 hours!!) it hit 200 degrees. The result was very moist and the bark was excellent! Now for the turkey....

Attachments

• Brined and Ready.jpg
    Brined and Ready.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 301
  • Great Bark.jpg
    Great Bark.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 309
Looks great Bob!

Next time, for an experiment try cooking to 195. I used to go to 200-205 and have switched to 195 for the last 5-6 butts and have had excellent results. Just as easy to pull, but I found if I got it up in the 200s the meat got a little mushy.

Great job, Bob!  I would also suggest 195F the next time, and give it a good 2 hour rest to allow the juices to redistribute...during the rest period in double-wrapped foil, the butt will continue to cook and increase the IT.

Great looking butt you have there, Bob! :P  I, too, recommend the 195 finish temp.  Glad you liked the brine! ;D

Back