Killer Hogs BDI Meat Injector

gregbooras

For years I have had the same injector and always hate the time it takes to refill. So when I saw this injector being using for a competition prep I had to buy one.

Video using the injector:
http://killerhogs.com/bdivideo/bdivideo.html

Here is a link if you are interested in buying one:
http://killerhogs.com/thebbqrub#iandm

I plan to use this first on a port butt  in the next few days and then on a brisket in the next week. I will let you know how it performs.

Greg

Nice looking product.  I have not injected yet, but I am working up my nerve to try a brisket that might benefit from the injection.

swthorpe said:
Nice looking product.  I have not injected yet, but I am working up my nerve to try a brisket that might benefit from the injection.

I am looking forward to trying this baby out. Right now I have a port butt in brine, tonight I will inject it and see how it works!

Greg

swthorpe said:
I would be curious to know your injection recipe as well.

I use Big Bo Gibson's recipe for port, but since I will be brining I will not add the salt or the sugar. Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 salt
2 T worcestershire

Heat until dissolved and allow to cool before injecting.

Greg

Just watched the video now I have to decide.  I have on order a Stainless injector with two needles that got good reviews on Amazon and by member on the various BBQ web sites.  It has not arrived yet and I am considering returning it and ordering the BDI.  Can't wait to hear your review, the pros and cons.  I'm in a holding pattern.  Rib cook coming up tomorrow and brisket in the freezer with a pork butt on my shopping list.

Carp210 said:
Just watched the video now I have to decide.  I have on order a Stainless injector with two needles that got good reviews on Amazon and by member on the various BBQ web sites.  It has not arrived yet and I am considering returning it and ordering the BDI.  Can't wait to hear your review, the pros and cons.  I'm in a holding pattern.  Rib cook coming up tomorrow and brisket in the freezer with a pork butt on my shopping list.

Hey Gene,

I injected a 9-10 pork butt last night and man I was finished in about 5 minutes or less. Cleanup was super easy and overall I am really happy with this so far.

I have a brisket in the refrigerator I will try it on in a few days. Also I did buy a spare needle ($3.95) just in case!

Greg

That is a pretty cool injector.  Looks like it would be MUCH easier to use than a traditional injector but they sure are proud of that thing.  $40 bucks for something that probably costs about $4 to make. 

DLRobinson said:
That is a pretty cool injector.  Looks like it would be MUCH easier to use than a traditional injector but they sure are proud of that thing.  $40 bucks for something that probably costs about $4 to make.

It is a bit pricy, but once you use it, you will never use the Bayou Classic again. Also cleanup is simple and easy.

Greg

Hey Greg, have you looked at any of his videos on smoking meats. I really like the ones he has for brisket and also pork butt. He tries to push his rubs but also says to use your favorites. But, his timing is consistent with what we use for the SI. I am going to do my pork butt following his guide lines as far as going to an IT of 160 then wrapping in foil and finishing cooking to an IT of 195 - 205. He also mentions of using COMPART DUROC  pork products and they are really expensive. I really could not tell the difference in the color of the pork butt I purchased at Sam's club.

elkins20 said:
I am going to do my pork butt following his guide lines as far as going to an IT of 160 then wrapping in foil and finishing cooking to an IT of 195 - 205.

Save your foil to wrap it in when resting.  Not necessary in our smokers.  The "Texas crutch" method is to speed the stall, and counter the drying effect of wood/charcoal heat sources.  Waste of time, on a butt in an SI, imo.

Was wanting to save some of the juices from the butt. That and to try something out of the norm. But, doubt very seriously if will do that again.

Hey Tony, everything came out good, just some temp. problems. The maverick said had IT of 195, my thermoworks temp. probe said IT was 180. So turned back the temp. to 200 and went to church. When I returned the unit was off and IT was 170. I turned it back up to 235 and cooked to IT of 195. Wished I had my PID. But, will not be doing the foiling again, except did not notice a long stall during the smoke. And did get about 13 oz of juice...

Back