KCBS banned Tenderloin

• Thread starter Thread starter smokeasaurus
  • Start date Start date
S

smokeasaurus

This is from Chris Marks of the Three Little Pigs cooking team:

Here is the reason why KCBS changed the rules in 94 to allow only pork butt in the pork catagory. They had to many complants because the Three Little Pigs won the pork catagory to many times.

World Champion Smoked Pork Tenderloin

INGREDIENTS:
2 pork tenderloin
6 Slices of Bacon
1 Bottle of Three Little Pigs Competition BBQ Sauce

Spice Rub
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Bag brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients together for the spice rub. Generously cover trimmed pork
tenderloin with spice rub and then wrap the tenderloins in the bacon strips and then pack the tenderloins in the brown sugar in either a zip lock plastic bag or a ½ pan catering tin overnight. Place the tenderloins in the Smoker, cook at 250 degrees while adding 2 small chunks of Wild Cherry flavor wood. Remove from smoker when 155 degrees is reached internal and let sit for 10 minutes, and then glaze with Three Little Pig Competition BBQ Sauce.

Smoke, have you used this recipe before? I have a loin I have been looking for a bacon wrap recipe for. I know it not a tenderloin but sounds good for a loin too.

Yes Sir, many times. I like to let the loin sit overnight. Once the bacon is wrapped on the loin. I pack it real heavy in dark brown sugar and I wrap it up tight to get happy overnight....

So you have used is on a loin too?? I think ill have to give it a try! It's gotta be good, its sealed in bacon!  Lol

The recipe is good for just the loin as well. The bacon helps with keeping it moist......but the tenderloin is off the charts........

Steve, I hope Smoke answers your question - I miss him around here!  I don't know that he'll see it.  I throw in my 2-cents, since I smoke pork loins quite a bit.  I don't think it matters what size.  I think there used to be some pics on this post, but they may have disappeared since he removed his membership.  Seems I remember they were 2 4-5 lb loins, like you would find at most grocery stores.  If you get one from Sam's, they're 9-10 lbs, and really long, so cut it in half.

Personally, I don't think you need the bacon for moisture in our smokers.  To me, that just keeps the smoke from the meat!  Although, it sure makes the bacon good!

For those of you who don't know Smokeasaurus, he's a moderator over at another "everything under the sun" BBQ forum, and proud owner of a model 3!  He has a ton of experience with just about every type of smoker out there, but his model 3 is his favorite.  The reason he withdrew his membership here was due to how busy he is with his moderator duties.  He told me "I realized I'm not a 2-forum guy!"  Great resource and great guy - I miss his participation!

Wouldn't recommend cooking a loin to 195 to try and pull - not enough fat.  Pretty sure it would be dry and tough at that temp.  Loins are the perfect slicing pork! ;D

I've made this. The recipe as written is for pork tenderloin, NOT pork loin. Tenderloins usually come 2-3 per package, and are 1-2 lbs each. 145 degrees is about the max IT you can take them to before they start to dry out. I sliced them on the diagonal, and served them with plum catsup.

Back