Just seasoned my new #1!

RockcityBBQ

Hi everyone!

I just received a #1 for my birthday (Yes, my momma loves me!). I'm graduating from smoking on my gas grill with some decent pulled pork and ribs and a failed brisket in my BBQ background. Looking forward to regular adventures and interacting with y'all. I'm in western NY so it will be touch and go through the winter but I plan on running it through it's paces.

Matt

Winter is a great time to smoke! These smokers are so well insulated, that outdoor temperature makes little difference. You can smoke anything in the winter in exactly the same way that you do in the summer. Brisket, ribs, pork butt. If there is anything that cheers you up from the winter blahs and reminds you of summer, it is BBQ. I keep my #1 on my back screen porch, and I can run out there in my stocking feet in winter. You are going to have much better, and easier results with your SI than you had with your gas grill. I bought mine in January here in Wisconsin, and use it all winter. Something I never did with my old smoker. Winter is a great time to cold smoke, because the smoker starts out so cold. I like cold smoking lox during the winter.

Thanks Kari and Steve! I just put a slab of baby backs and some wings in for a first smoke. It's cool but sunny here today and I'm looking forward to the tastes and smells of summer!

Welcome Matt.  You will find that the best results will come from smoking items of similar time.  Multiple interruptions to deal with wings might impact your rib smoke unless you plan on wrapping your ribs to finish.  In any event it sounds like you will be eating well today! 

Fear not cold weather smoking! I bought my smoker in November, and smoked with it all winter. I'm in the Hudson Valley, which doesn't get your snow but temperatures are pretty similar. Just get yourself a remote thermometer, and you're good to go.  Welcome to the club.

Welcome, Matt!  It's always summer at Club Lazy Q! 8)  Cold weather fears SI smokers, so rock on with some stellar Q! 

Back