Just Ordered the #2

jscott

Hey everyone,

Just placed the order for my SI #2.  I have been researching for a few weeks and this forum helped make the decision easy for me.  I justified the purchase by explaining to my wife that it was cheaper than most hobbies my friends have and that she also gets to enjoy the purchase.

I have been smoking on the Weber Smokey Mountain for about 2 years, and I enjoy nothing more than smoking meat while enjoying some football (Boomer Sooner).  I have no complaints about my WSM, but it started turning into more of a chore than anything.  Setting aside an entire Saturday or Sunday to watch over the smoker was becoming ever more difficult and less frequent. 

I am from Oklahoma, but moved down to Fort Worth, TX about 8 years ago.  Really excited about the purchase and being a part of this forum.

Jeff

Welcome from NW Arkansas, Jeff!  We're almost neighbors, and I have some lifelong friends from Shawnee!  Congrats on your decision.  Nothing wrong with "traditional" smokers - if you have the time and patience to tend to their every need!  I don't.  You're now entering the world of "Lazy Q," and some of the best Q you'll ever make! 

One piece of advice - forget about most of the techniques you had to use with charcoal.  These smokers are very tight, hold moisture well, and just don't need much human intervention.  Prep it, set it, and forget it until it's done!  You can focus on your recipes and prep - not the process!  You will also find that you use it much more often, due to the ease and convenience.

Sounds like you have some good Q experience, but let us know if you have any questions!  We're here to help.

Thanks for the welcome and advice, Tony.  I definitely like the sound of some lazy Q...and that you know someone from Shawnee...small world.

So is the "Tony's Brine" that I have seen your recipe?  I have been trying to find it.  Brining is something I have little experience with, but sounds like I am missing out.

Welcome, Jeff!  Y9ur days of watching over the smoker are over, and you will be back to enjoying plenty of football!    I am smoking a Boston Butt on my #2 now...started it last night at 8pm and went to bed!  Got up this morning to a IT of 180F and the sweet smell of smoking pork on the back deck!  It's a beautiful thing! Cheers

It's an odd feeling the first time you run it for 12 hours without having to check or tend the fire. Amazing smokers and food.

jscott said:
Thanks for the welcome and advice, Tony.  I definitely like the sound of some lazy Q...and that you know someone from Shawnee...small world.

So is the "Tony's Brine" that I have seen your recipe?  I have been trying to find it.  Brining is something I have little experience with, but sounds like I am missing out.

Brining takes meat to another dimension, Jeff.  I did BBQ for a lot of years before trying it, and can't believe I waited so long!  Here's my pork butt brine:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1608.0

There are several others in the Brines and Marinades section.

Hi Jeff, welcome to the club. Great choice with the Smokin It smokers.  Try Tony's brine, I recently used it with great results.  Make sure you read through the posts in this forum, there is lots of information to get you started on you way to some great Q. 

And a word of advise, these smokers use very little wood. For ribs, I use 2 oz of wood, for larger cuts like pork butt or brisket, 5-6 oz.

Back