Just ordered #3

Smokin Q

I ordered the #3 on Saturday after using the forum to do my research. I have been grillin' and smokin' for 25 years, but this is my first electric smoker. I am like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for my smoker to arrive so I can get it seasoned and start cooking. I am a huge college football fan -Roll Tide! - and cook for friends and family every Saturday during football season. I am ready to fire (or plug) this thing up for game days.

Welcome aboard Miller! I am counting on my SI2 to provide some great food for tailgating this year as well. It appears that you should pick a better team, one that knows how to win  ;D.
We are actually friends with Bill McDonald's family, a long time trainer for Bama football. He is a great guy. Provide plenty of food BBQ to your fellow tailgaters.

Welcome Miller!  I know the anticipation, my 2D arrives tomorrow night.... then I go on vacation and have to wait a week before I can do my first smoke.  Torture!

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I have been reading previous post, recipes, cooking techniques, etc. from most of you. I checked my tracking # and I am expecting delivery Wednesday. Very quick delivery for a large item considering I ordered Saturday night.

I am planning on seasoning the smoker Thursday and getting meat ready for the first cook starting Friday night. I am going to hit it heavy and break this thing in right! Planning on starting a butt Friday night with apple and pecan wood, 3 slabs of BB ribs going on Sat morning, beans and corn going in a few hours before serving a pregame Alabama-FSU dinner. It may be a challenge trying to get everything ready to serve near the same time while adjusting to the cooking times, but I can't wait to get started.

I am coming from charcoal and wood smoking, so the hardest thing for me is going to be leaving it alone and letting it do its magic!

MD

Sounds like a challenging first smoke. Just allow plenty of time for the meat. If they are done early, they can be out of the smoker and resting while you smoke your sides. Once you get the hang of these smokers, it's pretty easy. I think you'll appreciate the hands-off bbq when having guests, especially on game days. You can always use your charcoal grill when you get the need for fussing.

Back