Just joined from NJ

Plan2build

Hello all,

This is the first time I have joined an online forum AFTER the information on the forum saved me from a purchase I may have regretted!!!  I am not new to smoking and Q, however I do consider myself a novice.

In the past I have used the old Brinkmann Smoke-n-Grill and have also used the old school pit BBQ for whole hogs!!  Now in NJ (by marriage and not choice ;) ), I am not sure the ordinances will be aligned with pit fires, and the Brinkmann is toast, so I was looking for an electric smoker for convenience and to try some new things.  As I said in opening, I was 2-clicks away from the Bradley and 3 away from the Masterbuilt 40 inch.  But for various reasons I was hesitant (the specialty wood for the Bradley and the repair histories for the MES).

While both are surely fine smokers, I stumble, purely by accident on the Smokin-it website!  I started reading many of threads/posts here and decided to go ahead and buy the Model #2 (arrives tomorrow).  I think it will suit what I am trying to do with salmons, butts, briskets, and I will be dabbling in the summer sausage/salami realm and will see how it goes.

Anyway, thanks for all the information so far and I look forward to getting my many questions answered as we move along... like whether or not to go PID control and bypass switch straight out of the shipping box (I am really torn)....  ;D

P2B

I also "stumbled" across the Smokin-It smokers by reading online reviews of electric smokers, and checking out this forum. Nothing even comes close to the quality of the SI smokers in their price range. Also a novice smoker myself, with a lot less experience than you. Enjoyed my Weber Smokey Mountain for many years, but wanted something easier to use year-round, more often, less fuel, and with no tending. Couldn't be easier, and so far the results are outstanding! This forum is a mountain of information, and other owners eager to help.

Welcome P2B. You have made a great choice and are in good company for some excellent advice from "the Old Timers". I'm new to smoking and have really appreciated the advice in this forum.

Right there with you, P2B!  Glad you found us!!

If you have a chance, add a first name and town to your signature line - we like to know our new Club Lazy Q members! 8)

You've made a great decision, and I know you'll be more than happy with your new smoker!

Welcome to the forum from ND!

You have come to the right place and I am sure you will love your #2.

Thanks for the welcome, all of you....still figuring out all the forum functionality (thanks for prodding)!  Besides general questions on food prep and the LazyQ, I know I have questions on the Auber that need to be answered...as well as the general tips so I don't have to re-invent the wheel!  I just need to keep reading before I ask too many repeat questions!  ;D

P2B

P2B, Your story makes me smile because it's like I'm looking back in time 2 months ago. I had the masterbuilt on my christmas list and stumbled on this forum. I went and axed that masterbuilt from the list as soon as I could. Now I'm the proud owner of the SI2 and couldn't be happier. I just finished my 7th smoke in a month yesterday. My SI2 is like my third child except it comes with a much smaller price tag and longer term low maintenance contract.  ;D

Welcome to the club!

Welcome Gregor! You will love the SI#2. I know I do. There's a ton of information on the Auber. I used that to do a bypass switch and love the result. The Auber isn't very hard to program and autotune if you follow the directions. I know I always do what my wife says I should......  ;)

Welcome from COLD West Mich who also is.............  another proud new owner of a # 2  Smoker who just happens to be smoking a medium batch of Turkey leg's and Wings at this very moment ..............................

Welcome aboard, another member from the garden state, aka NJ. I live in the northern part of the state. The si smokers are awesome, you will enjoy many years of smoking fun.

Welcome from the oldest city in America, Saint Augustine Florida, 450 years and still kick in!

P.S. I am not that old, but still kick in!
Greg

Back