Juicy pork roast?

jdiver

My favorite meat, pork... I want to do a simple Pork Roast, want it juicy and a nice bark. But this time no rubs. Sure seasoning, salt pepper, but no heavy rub. Just want the Pork to shine. Don't want to pull it this time, want to slice it... Will be smoked in SI2.

So do I still want to use the shoulder butt?

Do I want to salt it, heavy??? Ahead of time and let it rest in the fridge overnight?

What's a good temp, 200?

Any guess as to time for say a 6# bone in? What temp do I want to take it out at, 160, 155?

Apple Wood? Pecan?

Thanks

You can do a Butt and pull it anywhere from 150 to 165 for slicing. I like the idea of just salt and pepper but you wont get a "Bark" with just S&P. A lot of the park is from sugar and additional spices that caramelize together. You might consider adding a little raw sugar, not so much it is overly sweet, just a subtle sweet note. I would make a basic brine of:
1 quart water plus 3 quarts ice
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 head garlic smashed
tea spoon pepper corns smashed
1 bay leaf

Combine all ingredients except ice and simmer, allow to cool slightly then add the ice and stir to fully cool. Submerge you pork in the cooled brine and weight it down with a plate. Refrigerate this at least overnight.
Remove from brine, rinse, pat dry and return to the fridge uncovered for 8 to 12 hours.
Rub with olive oil, season and run it at 250 with 3 to 5 oz of your favorite wood and a water pan. This should produce smoky, roasted pork that is still juicy. Good Luck

Back