Joined the smokin world

rpindianajones

I am Ron.  My very thoughtful children bought me an SI #1 for my birthday last month.  I have been wanting a smoker for a long time, my wife was sort of against it, so I never really pursued it.  My kids surprised me when a  large box showed up at my front door.  I (or my wife) had no idea.  I was thrilled.  I had to come up to speed in a hurry and this forum has been wonderful.  I feel I can find information on just about anything to help me. Such a confidence builder. I have made about a half dozen things so far.  They have been good (except one) but not outstanding.  I still have much to learn.  I am guilty (as probably most newbies are) of still trying to use too much wood.  I am still having trouble getting my head around using only an ounce or two of wood.  My failure was grossly over smoked Italian Sausage with only three ounces of hickory. I am getting better and expect some really good food in the future.  The #1 is perfect for just me and my wife.  My son did an excellent job researching smokers to come to this conclusion.  In the few weeks I have had it, what research I have done leads me to the same conclusion.
Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum.  I feel way ahead of the curve in this new world of smoking.  It would be a long road of trial and error without the input of all of you so we don't have to make the same mistakes.  I will make enough of my own, but hopefully minor thanks to all of you.  I am expecting to have lots of fun with it.
By the way, my wife is starting to like the food a lot.  I thing she is having a change of heart.

Welcome Ron from SE Arizona.  Go lightly with the wood and build up to the taste you and your family like. Enjoy!

Welcome from Texas Ron! There is definitely a learning curve involved but once acclimated you'll appreciate what we call the "lazy Q" lifestyle.

Welcome to the family, Ron!  The SI might be the perfect smoker for you since your wife doesn't have to lose you to it.

Back