John in Utah - new Model #3

cookingdude555

You can tell from my patio that I am an egg guy (last spring):

b016936646785180d743c17857167c48_zps907457d2.jpg

I love kamados (mine just happen to be green), but as life has gotten busier, I have found that I am using them less than I like to.  I have moved all but 3 eggs off of the porch, so it looks like I am just a tad less weird.  :-[  I had a masterbuilt electric smoker years ago, and it worked great, when it wasn't cold.  Then there were other issues with the cooker, but the food was good.  I decided to look into electric again to get back to cooking more, and do charcoal when I have time and want to enjoy the process as much as the food.  I found out about Smokin-It on the bbq brethren site, and decided it was what I was looking for.

I got my cooker last Friday, and love it already!  I seasoned it with some of the sample wood, and monitored with my maverick while working around the house.  My first observation was how fast it heated up.  With the dial at 250, it flies to around 340 in about 25 minutes, and then just hovers between 340 and around 280 the whole time.  I am glad it runs hot, I can always adjust down if needed.

My first cook of ribs did not go well, and I do not blame the cooker.  I was framing a bathroom with a friend, and lost track.  I also didn't have a loaf pan so I put a tin foil pan full of water on a shelf above the burner.  Basically I boiled those ribs in steam and because it was so moist in the cooker, the meat never really pulled back from the bones like in other cookers, and I over cooked them.  When I opened the door it was like opening the door of a sauna.

This weekend will be pulled pork, a little easier to do.  Sorry for the huge post, Im excited to learn more about this cooker with you all.

Here is mine:
5f31adca-fe10-4340-9af2-95f22abdd864_zpsa75ce0da.jpg

Thin blue smoke just after lift off:
model3tbs_zps6f45dde8.jpg

Welcome, John!  You have quite an operation there!    Glad to hear that the seasoning is complete and you are ready to smoke away.  You will probably noticed a difference in the temperature swings when you have meat in the smoker...generally we see wild swings during seasoning when the smoker is empty.  Enjoy the forum! 

What part of Utah, John? I will be transplanting there for retirement.  BTW, you have enough eggs for an Easter egg hunt!!

You will find that the Smokin-It runs a lot more moist than most other smokers. A small disposable mini-loaf pan filled with Apple Cider or Vinegar on the bottom of the smoker right next to the smoke box is best. You should avoid using drip pans or water pans anywhere above the temperature sensor as it will cause inaccurate readings and incorrect temperatures.

I usually smoke ribs at 225-235 and butts at 225.

There are a lot of good threads to read in the pork recipe section. I would read through some of the threads there to find the recommended methods for Boston Butts.

Stick burners and charcoal smokers are very different from the Smokin-It smokers as they run a lot dryer. Not all of the methods used in those smokers are necessary or desired. But, you'll get used to it.

swthorpe said:
Welcome, John!  You have quite an operation there!    Glad to hear that the seasoning is complete and you are ready to smoke away.  You will probably noticed a difference in the temperature swings when you have meat in the smoker...generally we see wild swings during seasoning when the smoker is empty.  Enjoy the forum!

Thanks.  Yeah the swings were better when the water and meat were in there, but it still got pretty hot in the chamber, which I like.  I was hoping it would be able to go over 250, but I would have been satisfied if it didnt.

SuperDave said:
What part of Utah, John? I will be transplanting there for retirement.  BTW, you have enough eggs for an Easter egg hunt!!

Yes, the eggs are excessive  ;D.  I keep finding deals on them.  I decided to not buy any cookers next year.  I have removed all of my scripts and links that look for deals.  I am done, just needed to get the #3 first.  It was hard too because I found a Large BGE in Ogden a month or so ago for only $200.  I ended up passing.  I am in Salt Lake City.  That blue sky in the picture was looking north towards your eventual neck of the woods.

NDKoze said:
You will find that the Smokin-It runs a lot more moist than most other smokers. A small disposable mini-loaf pan filled with Apple Cider or Vinegar on the bottom of the smoker right next to the smoke box is best. You should avoid using drip pans or water pans anywhere above the temperature sensor as it will cause inaccurate readings and incorrect temperatures.

I usually smoke ribs at 225-235 and butts at 225.

There are a lot of good threads to read in the pork recipe section. I would read through some of the threads there to find the recommended methods for Boston Butts.

Stick burners and charcoal smokers are very different from the Smokin-It smokers as they run a lot dryer. Not all of the methods used in those smokers are necessary or desired. But, you'll get used to it.

Thanks for the tips, Gregg.  Yeah I am used to the moist environment of the egg, but this was even more so.  I will be moving to the loaf pan on my next cook, I realized too late last time that I did not have one.  It is going to be fun learning how to use this thing.

You have enough eggs to open an egg farm, John!  Wow!!  Great tips on here, and I'm sure you'll be an SI master in no time.  Much better weather performance than what you had before!

Greg, I still love the eggs but the "easy Que" as they call it sure does take the work out of it... I've had mine now for 2 months and I am really enjoying it. I love being able to load a LOT of meat in it and never look back... Welcome aboard....

Thanks for the welcome Tony.  I kind of have too many eggs, but they are great cookers, I am glad I have them.  Agreed, the masterbuilt was a horrible winter performer.  While the eggs don't care what the weather is like, it will be nice not having to go outside on frigid nights to adjust a vent or something.  I will still do it from time to time for the experience of it.

Mike, how do you like that #4?  I considered it briefly, but determined I would only rarely exceed the capacity of the #3.  But I have to say, logic aside, I still wanted one.  I started thinking that since I wouldn't need the cart, and an auber came with it, maybe it wouldn't be that much more money than a #3 with an auber and cart..  That is a fine cooker for sure.

So far I am loving it, it really is an impressive piece of equipment, the beef and pork are as good as it gets, I'm still experimenting with fish & chicken... But, no doubt, I'll get there... & When I do I'm call you to take these eggs off my patio..... Good Luck with your #3, I'm looking forward to hearing how it does for you....

Happy Holidays,

"Lazy Q" Mike

Back