I've got this brisket thing down...

va_rider

This last 8.5# brisket was a mistake from the butcher I think..  It was 80% point, 20% flat...  About the best dang thing I could ask for.

Attachments

• IMG_20150919_172454.jpg
    IMG_20150919_172454.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 402
Really a typical smoke....  Did a TQ rub...  Let that sit overnight...  Then rinsed and rubbed with salt and pepper. Let that sit overnight... Tossed on at 5am today with two chunks of oak, one chunk Pecan, 6.5oz total. Smoked at 225 till about 3pm,probes were reading 186, so cranked it up to 250. Checked when probes were reading 191 and the brisket shook like jelly, so I pulled it and doubled wrapped in foil. Let it sit in the cooler for 1.5 hours, and then sliced to what you see here. Served with Mac and cheese and Hawaiian rolls.

va_rider said:
Really a typical smoke....  Did a TQ rub...  Let that sit overnight...  Then rinsed and rubbed with salt and pepper. Let that sit overnight... Tossed on at 5am today with two chunks of oak, one chunk Pecan, 6.5oz total. Smoked at 225 till about 3pm,probes were reading 186, so cranked it up to 250. Checked when probes were reading 191 and the brisket shook like jelly, so I pulled it and doubled wrapped in foil. Let it sit in the cooler for 1.5 hours, and then sliced to what you see here. Served with Mac and cheese and Hawaiian rolls.

Sounds great, I will be brining a 12 lb. brisket tomorrow for Mondays dinner!

Greg

6.5 oz of wood........sounds like a little too much after reading some of the previous posts about wood.....it wasn't over smoked??
I would take a point anyday over a flat....... 8)

I'd say it depends a lot on the type of wood you're using...  5oz of mesquite or hickory is a lot different than 5oz of Pecan and Oak...  But no, it wasn't over smoked at all. After ~12 hours on the smoker, the wood is still largely in tact...  Just black. Not turning to ash. I do foil the bottom of the wood chunks though.

I think everyone has a different take on the smoke level and as smoke more, you will determine yours.

After 50+ smokes with my #2, I have been cutting back on the smoke level. Most of you will notice that the first day the smoke level is great, but after sitting a day the smoke increases and sometimes is a bit much.

Overall, the end result is an amazing product and hopefully an amazing dinner.

Greg

I am figuring as the smoker is used more the patina is building up in the inside of the smoker. My ex-boss has a Cook-Shack and he has used his so much that when does chicken, he doesn't even add wood, he gets flavor from the inside of the smoker.....

gregbooras said:
I think everyone has a different take on the smoke level and as smoke more, you will determine yours.

After 50+ smokes with my #2, I have been cutting back on the smoke level. Most of you will notice that the first day the smoke level is great, but after sitting a day the smoke increases and sometimes is a bit much.

Overall, the end result is an amazing product and hopefully an amazing dinner.

Greg

I did notice that the last time I did ribs...  Day 1,they were perfect...  Leftovers were too smoky. But, I had 7 people over for dinner new tonight, and no one seemed to think it was over smoked...  Heck I barely have a half pound of brisket leftover to make chili with tomorrow.

This was my first time using TQ....  I think next time, I'll only have it on for 2 hours or so. The thinner parts of the brisket were solid red, and the smoke ring did penetrate to an unnatural depth.

Aaron, on a 16+ lb packer, I only let the TQ sit on it for 8 hours, and that was plenty.  I bet about 4 hours, on that size brisket, would have been about right.  It penetrates amazingly fast!

Regarding the "too much wood"...  Here's the wood after 12 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20150920_150057.jpg
    IMG_20150920_150057.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 348
va_rider said:
Regarding the "too much wood"...  Here's the wood after 12 hours.

Aaron,

I see that you are foiling the wood, keep it simple, just lay a single layer of foil on the bottom of the box. You no longer need to foil the wood and you can just leave the foil in the box and keep using over and over.

Greg

Back