It's a baby back weekend

SuperDave

I'm thinking I can kill 2 birds with one stone this weekend by smoking up a few racks of baby back ribs.  Wife and I are planning a camping trip in a couple of weeks so why not smoke enough ribs to enjoy this weekend and vac seal some for the camping trip.  8)  I have enough to even try a side by side 3-2-1 vs. no peek taste comparison but we'll have to see if I'm not too lazy to do both.  LOL! 

The rub is on and waiting about an hour before they see smoke.

BBR1_zpspibdz28w.jpg

Today's smoke was a biotch. I felt like a pilot flying in the fog with no instruments.  The digital controller on the smoker was showing whacky temps all day and I didn't know what to believe and what not to believe.  I earned my stars today making this smoke work.  I did 2 methods today to boot to try a side by side taste test between 3-2-1 and 5 hours no peek.  They turned out surprisingly similar but thought that the no peek was slightly drier.  But since no peek isn't my regular method, I might be able to correct that with practice. 

3-2-1 gets pulled at the 3 hour mark and wrapped with brown sugar, rub, butter & honey.
2ece996c-bace-483f-af1f-da0ea54535fc_zpssxfrbivt.jpg

No peek ribs got a quick paint of bbq sauce during the last 1/2 hour.
3870af1b-f818-4ecf-8836-40fbd0a911f8_zpsq7scy4kz.jpg

Ready for the cutting board
6ff4ec11-d4b9-4e3f-b85e-9fac8ff0a989_zpsz1zzy4o8.jpg

Quick drizzle before heading to the table
92871c54-7109-48b2-b87a-57f1c9422efd_zpsg4tfzel6.jpg

And a smoked corn casserole for the side dish
809cb53d-62d1-4f07-8477-f1b90f36c343_zpsfaumscfm.jpg

I have found that the 3-2-1 method made the ribs fall off the bone and stays a little more moist than no peek. The meat though seems to be a bit "mushier" as compared to the no peek. Both are excellent. For me, lazy Q, no peek until done.

Corn casserole looks great. Would love the recipe for that if you haven't already posted it.

I did 2 methods today to boot to try a side by side taste test between 3-2-1 and 5 hours no peek.  They turned out surprisingly similar but thought that the no peek was slightly drier.

Were you using two smokers? If you were popping the door to at 3,2&1 you were loosing, moisture. I don't think you can have an accurate side by side taste test unless your using 2 smokers, one unit doing the 3-2-1 the other not being opened for the full five hours.

It literally took 30 seconds to take the 3-2-1 rack out of the smoker and then went in the oven.  No peek ultimately has to have the door opened more than once to test for doneness so I'm not buying your assertion that the comparison isn't valid. 

The ribs look great and make me hungry just looking at them :)

My smoking has been limited since I have been traveling the last few weeks. But I am home for the next two or three and ready to get my smoke on.

Greg

Pics look great! Wish I was doing ribs today. I've read enough posts and smoked enough ribs to know that both methods achieve great results. No peek is easier and meat has a firner bite while 3-2-1 is more labor intensive but meat is fall off the bone tender. I love them both but family prefers fall off the bone so that's what I usually do. Regardless of your preference these pics definitely look good enough to eat.

Back