Is my pork still good....

Bosestyle

So I got out a 7lb pork butt last night to thaw for a weekend smoke.  Left it on the counter because it was frozen solid.  The plan was to leave it there for a few hours and put it in the fridge before going to bed.  Turns out it sat out all night, roughly 12 hours.  It was still cool to the touch this morning thanks to the granite countertop, but was completely thawed.

I am trying to decide if the meat is still good or spoiled.  The fact that it was still cool to the touch makes me think it might be ok. Also I will be cooking it to 195-200 so that should kill any bacteria or things that may have formed?  Last thing I want is food poisoning but I also don't want to toss a perfectly good piece of meat.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this guys!  Thanks!

if it smells funky and feels slimy, throw it out.  If it smells like how you think good pork should smell, its still good.

Its still in the factory sealed package and I didnt take it out this morning.  I will check for smell and slimmyness when i get home from work.  I am thinking the fact that it was still sealed in the vacuum bag should help preserve things.  The coloring still looked just like when I bought it.

You should be fine. While it is not the approved or recommended method of defrosting, I do it several times a year, usually with a towel over it. I agree, smell and feel it, if slimy or off smelling throw it out.

Funny thing, how we get influenced by all the "safe" recommendations for doing everything these days.  Brian's right - it's not the "approved or recommended way" to thaw, but a little common sense is a valuable thing!  When I was growing up, I watched my dear old Mom take frozen meat out almost every morning, and sit it on the counter top to thaw for dinner that evening.  I can't ever remember getting sick from it, and I've done it a ton of times myself!  I also remember her cutting up about 10,000 fryer chickens on a wood cutting board, and then just wiping it down with a wet rag afterwards...again, no one ever got sick from it!  Now, they tell us to not even rinse a chicken, because we might splash salmonella over the whole kitchen...oh no!! :o

...All that to say, I think you'll live to smoke another day. :D

I have been more worried about smoked pig and pulled pork that my relatives in the Midwest have left out for 3 or 4 hours during parties.....

But the smell test really is a good clue, heck even times I have bought meat from the grocery store the if the smell is off, time to return!

Greg

gregbooras said:
I have been more worried about smoked pig and pulled pork that my relatives in the Midwest have left out for 3 or 4 hours during parties.....

But the smell test really is a good clue, heck even times I have bought meat from the grocery store the if the smell is off, time to return!

Greg

+1!

All pork smells funky right out of the cryo bag but if the initial smell doesn't dissipate and smells like sulfur, then that baby is toast!

Back