is a bypass necessary for only temp control with a #2.

G man

A friend of mine has an Auber unit that is strictly for temp control...

Assuming the desired cooking temp is 225, this should work without doing a bypass?  (just turning the unit on to "full blast"?  Maintaining 225 should be simple for a #2.  Thoughts?  And I understand the bypass is easy, and I understand by doing a bypass I could cook higher, I"m not interested in either at this time. 

The only thing that I've read about the two controllers working together is that they tend to fight with each other for control but I don't think that the bypass is absolutely necessary.  I know that there are some old threads here that discuss this subject.  I'll see if I can find a few. 

Not finding any right off the bat.  250 on the analog and 225 on the Auber would be the way to run the set up you describe. 

No need to bypass, if you do not intend to smoke higher than 250. Plug the Smoker into the Auber and turn the smoker temp controller to max. However, A wall mounted box probe would be recommended.  I saw Tony mention the possibility of the 2 controllers fighting one another but I do not believe its actually been documented. I have never seen it happen. I believe it was theoretical conjecture. The major benefit for your intended set up will be low temp delicate smokes like salmon & the ability to program. You will like it. Good luck.

Back