Inadvertent smoking victim

LBC LazyQ

This may need to be moved to another section, but I was smoking baby back ribs today when it occurred and so here is a good place to start....

I had my 8 year old with me today at work and he was very interested in the entire smoke process.  We had finished with 4 racks of baby back ribs and we were cleaning the smoker.  He had pulled the smoke box from the unit, and removed the aluminum foil from the bottom of the unit.  He then asked, "is that a bug in the back of the smoker?"  I looked inside and under the area where the heating element hooks to the back wall was a fully smoked 2" cockroach. :o 

I had previously put tape across the top air hole thinking something like this could easily happen, but had not put it back on recently.  I have previously worked in an industrial food environment for decades and understand the realities of pests being around so it did not faze me.  I did put a new piece of tape over the hole today.  ;D

I only share this as a father/son experience that occurred during our adventures with smoking.

Have a great Labor day!

When I get asked in the future why the bbq tastes so great, I will quietly know and smile that my smoker was seasoned with a special ingredient.  ;D

Back