In the smoker it went.

rettaps

15 pound whole brisket,
Put in smoker yesterday around 10:30pm, on 160 degrees this morning at 9am.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 344
Looking good Titus! Don't worry when the temp stops climbing or stalls, maybe even drops a little. The stall is when the inner fat begins to melt and work its way to the surface essentially basting the surrounding meat and tenderizing it. It may take a couple of hours for the temp to rise again. Be sure and let us know the end results, with pics if possible.

Yes I saw exactly what you just said, it got stuck at 160 for several hours, went down to 158, right now it's on 170, I just opened it for a little peak and also probed it with my chef alarm to make use the IT probe from smokin-it is correct and I noticed the meat probe went in with ease, meat felt so tender I almost cut off a piece to check it, but I closed the lid without, I hope this doesn't dry out.  8)

Peeking releases valuable moisture, and drops the temperature, right at the point in your cook when you want to maintain a consistent temperature/moisture. Once you get used to your smoker, you'll just trust your temperatures, and leave that door closed. Nothing to see with brisket. If you feel you don't totally trust your food probe, drop a second food probe down the hole at the beginning, so you have two readings. Don't panic if separate probes are pretty far apart in the beginning. They should even out toward the 190-195 mark. It's best to just test your probes (in ice water and boiling water) if you feel something might not be right. Otherwise, just trust what they say.

Yes it dropped box temp slightly,
I had the chef alarm set up as box temp to compare with smokin-it,
But I wanted to make sure the meat probe was correct since box temp was off by around 20 degrees.
I'm closing in on 19 hours and it smells delicious :)

Well that was the best brisket I ever had In my life,
No brine, Laura gave me a rub recipe, put In smoker at 10pm last night, took it out today at 5:45 pm at 182 degrees and sliced it after a 10 min rest.
Smoker was on 200, but actually smoked 225 so I set it on 189 and it smoked around 110, will write down that process for future reference.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 364
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 364
Nice job! Ive seen 100 year old trees that didnt have bark that thick! Briskets can be tricky so congratulations and well done. 8)

rettaps said:
took it out today at 5:45 pm at 182 degrees and sliced it after a 10 min rest.
Smoker was on 200, but actually smoked 225 so I set it on 189 and it smoked around 110, will write down that process for future reference.

182 is pretty low for a brisket, but if it was moist and tender, that's what matters. A 10 minute rest is very short for brisket. I prefer 2 to 3 hours. I don't really understand the whole temp description above, 200, 225, set on 189 and smoked around 110. I don't know where the 110 comes in, but maybe it's a typo and you meant 220?

well the fat was marbled into the meat, was soft and tasty, in the center of the brisket instead of cutting it actually tore out, thats how tender it was,
the temperature i explained was the set temp vs the actual temp, i noticed i have a 20 to 25 degrees difference there, smoker was set to 200, but it was actually 225.
and yes, i meant 210, not 110

SconnieQ said:
rettaps said:
took it out today at 5:45 pm at 182 degrees and sliced it after a 10 min rest.

182 is pretty low for a brisket, but if it was moist and tender, that's what matters. A 10 minute rest is very short for brisket. I prefer 2 to 3 hours. I don't really understand the whole temp description above, 200, 225, set on 189 and smoked around 110. I don't know where the 110 comes in, but maybe it's a typo and you meant 220?

Back