I trimmed the brisket....Too much, Too little? Just about right? With pics.

G man

Here are a couple before and after pics.  I think I may have trimmed to much of the fat between the point and the flat....Other than that, I hope it's ok...First time.  And wow, it smelled great raw! 

Thanks for the advice....

Attachments

• DSC04846.JPG
    DSC04846.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC04847.JPG
    DSC04847.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 400
  • DSC04849.JPG
    DSC04849.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC04851.JPG
    DSC04851.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 384
Looks Good. Smokin-Its give off steady moist heat. In a stick burner you might need to leave more fat for protection, but I trim like you (maybe a tad bit more)...want more rub and smoke coverage......contrary to belief fat does not render and go back into the meat.....a cap will protect the meat below from heat and keep it from drying out..just depends on the marbling.......

Check out the later pics.  You can see a big bowl of fat...Probably at least three pounds.

4849 is the bottom.....

The first pic is top, straight from bag.

Second pic is top, after trimming.

Third pic (4849) fat cap bottom

Fourth pic... I've no idea what that is!! 

Looks like more trimming than I do. I think I leave more fat than others here. For a 14 pound whole packer brisket, I trim about 2 pounds at the most. I don't trim any area unless it is more than 1/4 inch. And generally leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch in the thicker areas. I focus mostly on sculpting down those really huge globs of fat. Where I leave the fat thicker, I do a criss-cross score through the fat, to help the rub/brine get to the meat, and help the fat soften as it cooks. I figure my guests can always remove any excess fat that they don't want to eat (it seems to all get eaten!).

Back