I need your help brisket?

Greenenvey

Ok, I just bought a  17 pound Costco brisket. My last brisket this size got done way to fast. But turned out excellent. Then I did a 12 pounder that took way longer than the  17 pounder. So this is my 3rd  brisket, and I'm hoping for the best. I'm going to plan on 1.25 hours a pound plus 2 hours rest. I'm also going to brine and inject this one. I have never injected one before, does this all sound like a plan. And can I inject with the same brine the meat is in?

Others will correct me if I am wrong. But, I am thinking that your 1.25 hours per pound is on the low side of normal. I think you should probably be looking at 1.25-1.50 hours per pound, plus a 2-4 hour rest. Our Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods shows 1.5 hours per pound. So, potentially even 1.25-1.75 hours per pound would not necessarily be out of the ordinary. But, since your first brisket this size got done "way too fast" it is possible that your smoker runs a little hot. What temp are you smoking at?

I usually just brine my briskets, but I do have an injector that I am guilty of never using a single time. So, on my next one, I might try to inject and brine. I think injecting is definitely a good thing to try if you haven't tried it before. For me, I think I will always at least brine though.

Do you wrap during you smoke process? My cook time is usually an hour per pound or less but I usually wrap at about the 6-7 hour mark. Also, smoke temp has a huge influence 5 to 10 degree difference can translate into hours difference

SuperDave said:
Do you wrap during you smoke process? My cook time is usually an hour per pound or less but I usually wrap at about the 6-7 hour mark. Also, smoke temp has a huge influence 5 to 10 degree difference can translate into hours difference
HI, no I don't wrap and I cook at 225

If that is the case, I'd use 1.5/pound nowing that if it finishes early that it will stay hot in the cooler for 4 hours without losing anything.

ok after reading everyones advice, how does this plan sound?.. the brisket is just a tab under 17 pounds untrimmed. I'm assuming trimmed it will be around, 15 to 15.5 pounds. so I'm also figuring in a 2 hour rest. I want to eat at 1.30 Saturday afternoon. does putting it in 24 hours in advance , that also includes the 2 hour rest sound ok? so 1.30 in the afternoon on Friday?

Laura, I've never had a full packer go longer than 1 1/4 hours/lb @ 225, but I know they can.  Budgeting 1.5 hrs, plus a 2 hour rest, is not unreasonable.  Your plan is good.  It will get done during daylight hours, so you can keep an eye on it if it gets done in less time.  It will hold, easily 5-6 hours, double-wrapped & packed in towels in the cooler.

DivotMaker said:
Laura, I've never had a full packer go longer than 1 1/4 hours/lb @ 225, but I know they can.  Budgeting 1.5 hrs, plus a 2 hour rest, is not unreasonable.  Your plan is good.  It will get done during daylight hours, so you can keep an eye on it if it gets done in less time.  It will hold, easily 5-6 hours, double-wrapped & packed in towels in the cooler.
[/quote
ok then its a plan!!! thank you.

Agree with the budget of 1.5 hours per pound plus two hours rest. And if done early, rest longer. If you got your whole packer at Costco, it is most likely a Prime. I've never injected my Prime briskets. And only brine some of the time, and to tell you the truth, the Prime briskets I've done without brining have been just as good. But I would always recommend brining if you have time, it certainly won't hurt. Injecting is not my thing. Most of the liquid runs right back out of the same hole you created, unless you do it well in advance, to get some osmosis going. I've never used the crutch either on Prime whole packers. But I would always recommend wrapping with foil for the small flat cuts. Prime is a different animal. Mine have always come out jiggly and succulent with little effort. One thing I always do now though is the TenderQuick dusting right before smoking (for the faux smoke ring), for about 30 minutes, then rinse, rub, and into the smoker.

Back