Howdy from East Texas

goldentouch

I just ordered a model 2.  I have used electric smokers for years.  When my daughter came and got my old one it was time for a new one.  Hope it works as good as every ones reviews. 

You will be impressed with this smoker, welcome to the family!  I love my #2, as does my family and the neighbors up and down the street.  Lots of good recipes on this site to try out, and it all ends with great Q!  Cheers

You'll love it - it does!  Give us a little info on what kind you've used in the past, and a first name in the signature line is a nice touch! :D  Welcome to the club! 8)

My first smokers were wood fire home built out of a 500 gal Propane tank.  then a Brinkman charcoal that rusted out and I got an electric Brinkman it did a great job until I found a sale on a masterbuilt electric still going strong no complaints.  Daughter and Son in law need on so now the #2 will replace it.  I have a portable welding table I plan to put it on when it gets here Wednesday.  I have been looking thru the forum  for info.  Have some baby back ribs waiting for my first smoke. 

You'll see a big difference in the MES and what you have coming.  Also, no more adding chips during a smoke!  Weigh your wood chunks, put them in the smoke box with the meat, and don't open the door until done - easy! 

Sounds Great can't wait for it to come in.  I wanted the #3 but they didn't have it in and I didn't want to wait.  This will mean I have to cut the Briskets in half.  Have a couple racks of baby back ribs ready for it.  I have a whole lot of hickory and a couple bags of apple ready.  I am sure once I start smoking I will have more questions.

You will be up and running in no time!  These smokers don't need a lot of wood, only about 3oz for most smokes.  Many of us have purchased digital scales to weigh the wood chunks.

Thanks I have a couple digital scales that weights in oz so that should help.  Looking forward to some good ribs later this week.  The Model 2 should be in tomorrow afternoon.  I have my rub ready it is Jeff's naked rib rub. 

all tips like a digital scale helps I have never though to weigh my wood.  Is there a rule of how much wood to use per weight of meat and type of meat.  I usually use hickory, pecan, or mesquite on beef and apple or other fruit on pork, and chicken, ect.    I sometimes will even mix them up.   

The amount of the wood needed depends more on length of the smoke verses the weight of the meat.

For example, generally 2-3 ounces for your shorter smokes like ribs, poultry, and fish and 5-6 ounces for longer smokes like butts and brisket.

I like to mix woods too. Hickory and Cherry is one of my favorite combinations. It is pretty much good on anything.

We actually came up with a guide that includes temps, times, ounces, and suggested wood types. Check out this thread:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

Thanks Gregg that will give me a starting point.  I can't wait for the smoker to come in today but looking at the tracking it might be tomorrow now.  I put together another of Jeff's rub the the Texas style rub which is close to what I have used in the past.  Thanks everyone for the help

Back