How to get less grease

iamimdoc

In # 3 SmokinIt, I smoke St. Louis ribs about 5.5 hours @ 225 - Auber controlled.

Membrane removed.  Minimal fat on outside of ribs.  I use Texas Rib rub (some sugar) salt and pepper precook as rub.  Apple Juice to spritz every few hours.

Membrane side is down when cooked

Taste and color are fine.  Bark pretty good.  Tender.  Everyone likes them

BUT, there is still some grease on top.  Needs to be absorbed with paper towel.

Videos I see on the Internet depict the surface of cooked ribs as rather "dry." (ie not greasy)

Any suggestions, help, pointers to lower the grease content appreciated

Thanks

I end up with a little grease on top, but not enough to worry about. However, I put the ribs in and don't open the door until 5 hours have gone by. No spritzing, mopping or even any water in a pan.  They still come out moist.

Lots of options. 
FREE!  Cut  short yet wide slits between the bones for the grease to drain through.
$ Get a wood carvers veining tool and carve out some of the offending fat between the bones.  Do not cut all the way through.
$ Rib Hooks (see the main store site) and hang ribs
$ Rib Racks - most big box stores have some variation of them. Some angle the ribs and some are straight up.
$ Piece of old bed frame or 2 inch angle iron from good hardware store; strip off all paint down to bare metal. Season as you would a cast iron pan. Use to prop ribs at an angle so grease runs off.
$ Oblong fired pure clay planter. Cut long sides into 2 or 3 inch wide strips to fit shelves and season.  Stack clay strips and lean ribs against them at an angle.
Hope this gets you started!

iamimdoc said:
Apple Juice to spritz every few hours.

I would personally completely skip spritzing...  these smokers stay very humid.  Spritzing isn't necessary and opening the door repeatedly just lets smoke, heat, and (ironically) moisture out.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that your 'grease' on top has a very high apple juice content.  :)

Apple juice could be an issue but it seems to add to color and bark ( I presume it is carmelizing the sugar in the juice).

The videos I see showing final product don’t seem to have a lot of grease on the ribs (presumes no paper towels used off camera though)

Back