How much wood should I order?

Greenenvey

Hi everyone, in going to be getting my new #2d soon. I want to order some wood, so it will be here when I receive the smoker. My question is  how much can I order at once, does it go bad? Does it need stored in a special temp? Any and all imfo is very much appreciated!

I get mine from Smokinlicious. Great wood. I would get a box with two kinds. It doesn't go bad although if you live in a humid climate you can get some mold. A little bleach water fixes that. I haven't had a problem. These smokers are very efficient. Think 5-6 oz of wood for a large pork butt so you aren't going to go through a lot of wood.  :) Just store in a place that it can "breath" a little and it will last indefinitely. Enjoy!

If you go with smokinlicious, be sure to get the double filet cut as they fit best in the smoke box (although some pieces may need to be split).  I ordered a double filet box with cherry and hickory and it has lasted me about a year.  I will be ordering the three-pack variety next time.  They advise you to punch holes in the sides of the box for air flow and to just keep the wood in the box.  That's what I did and I keep it in the garage...I have had no problems at all with the wood and highly recommend the company!

swthorpe said:
If you go with smokinlicious, be sure to get the double filet cut as they fit best in the smoke box (although some pieces may need to be split).  I ordered a double filet box with cherry and hickory and it has lasted me about a year.  I will be ordering the three-pack variety next time.  They advise you to punch holes in the sides of the box for air flow and to just keep the wood in the box.  That's what I did and I keep it in the garage...I have had no problems at all with the wood and highly recommend the company!
Great imfo I appreciate it!

For those wondering on what size to order, I got hickory, cherry & maple from Smokinlicious, small box 1/3 cu ft, 11 lbs. If I use 3.5 oz of wood each week, it should last one year.

Attachments

• IMG_20161206_181849604.jpg
    IMG_20161206_181849604.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 561
Back