How much smoke?

Heltonckb

So here's the question, I understand the directions about two it three ounces of wood in the smoke box BUT, has anyone added more wood further in to a long cook?  I usually use apple but have grown tired of it.  I have 25 pounds of pork butts going right now and I'm using oak,  I've used it before with my big trailer rig with good results.  Ready, set....  Enlighten me!!

Your meat will only absorb smoke until it hits 140 degrees. Continuous smoke after 140 degrees will just build on top of the meat and give it a bitter taste.

So, there really is no need to keep adding wood to the smoker.

I use 5-6 ounces for long smokes and 2-3 ounces for shorter smokes. I can't imagine a scenario where I would keep on adding wood during a long smoke. Maybe for a cold smoke of Bacon or something like that. But in general 5-6 ounces one time is all you need or should use.

10-4,  It seems I went a little light for the first dose.  I'm not up to 140 so I think I will hit it once more for good measure.  I usually don't "boat" the wood so I think I will try that.  Thanks

NDKoze said:
Your meat will only absorb smoke until it hits 140 degrees. Continuous smoke after 140 degrees will just build on top of the meat and give it a bitter taste.

I use 5-6 ounces for long smokes and 2-3 ounces for shorter smokes. I can't imagine a scenario where I would keep on adding wood during a long smoke. Maybe for a cold smoke of Bacon or something like that. But in general 5-6 ounces one time is all you need or should use.

+1!

I use about 5.5 to 6oz of wood for boston butt smokes and this is plenty for the duration.  I do not advise removing the wood box after you start smoking...the box is hot!  Ouch.

I agree, adjust your smoke flavor profile as you go along. I usually make three chunks of wood for smoking. I found it provides a more consistent smoke throughout the process.

NDKoze said:

I use 5-6 ounces for long smokes and 2-3 ounces for shorter smokes.
Just curious what do you consider a long smoke ?

When I first joined here the advise of less wood than more was a hard to comprehend, but true.

The message that smoke wont benefit after 140 + degrees on meat is an invaluable one too and for a newbie hard to wrap head around.

Lesson, no need to load up and make billows of smoke for 4 5 6 + hours. 

PS.  I'd bet the average big box store, QVC, Cabelas smoker shopper thinks the SMOKE COOKS the meat.  Just a hunch.

OFFSHORE GINGER said:
NDKoze said:

I use 5-6 ounces for long smokes and 2-3 ounces for shorter smokes.
Just curious what do you consider a long smoke ?

I consider smokes longer than 6-7 hours a long smoke.

For smokes less than 6-7 hours like ribs, poultry, meatloaf, mac/cheese, etc typically 2-3 ounces is plenty of wood.

Thanks guys.............. because tomorrow will be my First real cook ( New Years Eve ) on my new smoker# 2 which will be two full slabs of Pork ribs which are fully seasoned ( in the fridge  ) waiting for tomorrow .........considering cooking time ........should start up & around 11:00 or 12:00 tomorrow ( 5 to 6 hours ) and do you have any other suggestion's that would be help-full..............................Thanks Artie .....who is some what nervous ...as a pig in $hit wanting everything to turn out perfect for his first cook .....................New Year's Eve...........LOL 

I would use about 4oz of wood, and add a small loaf pan of apple juice (or desired fluid) next to the smoke box for added moisture.  My BB ribs usually take about 5.5 hours using the "no peaky" method.  While optional, I do remove my ribs at about 4.5 hours and baste with some BBQ sauce and then back in for the last hour.  Enjoy!

Wood amounts are learned mostly by trial and error, based on your personal taste for the smoke.  I, for one, don't mind a pretty heavy smoke flavor (but not over-smoked creosote tasting), but I keep it milder because the crazy lady I live with (I say that because she's put up with me for 30 years, so she's obviously crazy) likes light smoke.  Gotta keep her happy! ;)

I think the "standards" we use here are pretty universal, and a nice "happy medium."

2-3 oz for ribs, short-duration smokes

5-6 oz for butts, briskets, long-duration smokes (+6 hours).

You can always adjust for taste.  And John, I think you're right - the big box stores promote the idea that smoke cooks the meat!  Many people really don't understand that it doesn't need to be rolling the whole cook!  After the smoke is absorbed, it piles-up on the surface and gets bitter.  Just think of how the inside walls of your smoker look due to no absorption! 

I've got a design question for Tony to pass up to Steve.  If we talk about wood in terms of ounces, why is the wood box on my model 4 large enough to hold a cord of wood? 

SuperDave said:
I've got a design question for Tony to pass up to Steve.  If we talk about wood in terms of ounces, why is the wood box on my model 4 large enough to hold a cord of wood?

I dont have the #4.  My guess is that the wood box size on the #4 is not a result of how much wood it can hold, but a factor of the area that is required to shield the food from direct heat from the larger heating element.

I wonder if a small box mounted to a large baffle plate would be easier for Steve to construct?  I know I'd use the exposed baffle plate to set my water pan on.  8)

Back