how long can pork butt be wrapped in foil after removed from smoker?

tufftoys

Hey everyone. long time lurker here but this is my first post. I love reading all the info you guys post on here. I have a quick question. I am smoking a couple of 6lb bone in pork butts over night on Saturday, I expect them to be at the 195-200 internal temperature on Sunday around 11:00 am. I like to pull them out of the smoker and wrap in foil, but in the past they have remained wrapped up for no longer than an hour then I open it up an pull it. this time they need to sit longer because they aren't being served until super bowl time later in the day. whats the best method to keep the meat moist and not over cook and all that good stuff so it is ready to eat during the game?

thank you very much

I just read the thread before mine and there is lots of good info there. Sorry to waste the space with a new thread ;)  have a great weekend. Happy Smoking

No worries!  I think you will be fine...it is better to have the butt done in advance than scrambling at game time.  Allow extra time, you can always lower the temp or let the butt sit wrapped in foil for a couple of hours.  Cheers!

Glad you saw the other post, Tuff!  Should be a fine Super Bowl at your house!  Glad to have you on board.  Throw something in the "Introductions" section when you have time, so we can get to know our new friend!

Tony

I use a hot box. It will hold whatever you cooked for 4 to 5 hours. You can get one at a restaurant supply. They are a little costly but worth the price if you cook a lot.

A hotbox, such as the models made by Cambro, are definitely nice.  Not really a necessity, unless you routinely cook mass quantities, and need to hold/transport said quantities for several hours.  Holding in the SI unit, at 140, essentially does the same thing.

This is true and I agree with you, I do a lot of cooking for the Elks, and our RV Group, sometimes we do not have the kitchen space or cook and transport. So for me a Hot box is a nice thing to have, although you can use a cooler and that will work also.

Back