Hog Wild and Pig Crazy

BedouinBob

So I had two smokes that I needed to do. The first for a church small group for which I did pulled pork sandwiches. The second was a picnic ham that I have been wanting to do for a while.

First the pulled pork: Brined using DM's brine (why mess with perfection?) during the day, then applied Schultz's Premium Rub (has no msg from Costco) and let rest over night. The next day into the smoker with a water pan, 6 oz of apple, and 235 until it reached 190. It was a 11.5# roast and it only took 13 hours! You just never know. Since it was so early, I rested it for a couple of hours and refrigerated until afternoon. Shredded the pork and put in a slow cooker with a little apple juice. The rub was nice and the bark turned out great. Everyone raved about it. Sorry no money shot of the plate.

For the ham, I brined a picnic shoulder in 1gal water, 1.5C kosher salt, 2 C brown sugar, 8 tsp pink salt for 13 days. I injected the meat with the brine near the bone so it would penetrate well. I didn't do any rub this time since I really like my ham simple. Rinsed well and into the smoker at 225 with a water pan and 6.5 oz of apple until an IT of 155. Let rest and then sliced. It was great. I have to say that if you haven't done a ham from scratch, give it a try. It is definitely not the same as most store bought versions. Maybe if I can control myself at some point I will try  a double smoke but I don't think it really needs it. You can't see it in the picture but there was still a sliver of meat that had not taken the pink salt but overall flavor was great.

Attachments

• IMG_1963.JPG
    IMG_1963.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1964.JPG
    IMG_1964.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG