Hi from Winter Park, Fl

Mr.Ed

Well today was both a sad day and a happy day.  Due to health reasons (Vietnam finally caught up with me) I had to stop my completive smoking and sell my Superior Smoker, stoker unit and retire to back yard cooking. I had a stick burner on a trailer I sold years ago before the Superior. 

Today I bit the bullet and ordered a SI D3 and cart. I have been lurking on this forum for awhile and decided that was the way to go.    Old timer to smoking so I don't need to jump that hurtle. I just need to learn the adjustment curve to this electric machine. The built in PID looks like a simple set up for me.  I do wish it had blue tooth or Ethernet and modem capabilities but with my ThermPro TP-08 remote thermometer I can sleep well knowing the PID is doing its job.

One thing I have learned here is no poopoo on the pit heat sensor. Some of your mistakes and corrective answers have served this forum well.

I will be contributing to this forum in the near future.

Mr. Ed

Welcome from Texas Mr. Ed! Thank you for your service. You will be really impressed when that big heavy box arrives and you see what a value the SI smokers are.  I look forward to reading your posts.

Mr Ed, Welcome aboard from N'Eastern MA.
Thanks for your service!
smiley.gif

Welcome from Delaware, Mr. Ed, and thank you for your service!  We look forward to your contributions on the forum.

Welcome Mr. Ed!  Your biggest "learning curve" will be putting away a lot of your old techniques of wrapping/unwrapping/mopping/spritzng, etc... Things you did to counter the drying-effect of traditional smokers.  Welcome to the world of Lazy Q! 8)

Welcome Mr. Ed.  Thank you for your service.  You're gonna love the 3D.  One thing I learned real quick was that cook times were longer than with the pellet smoker I had used for years.  I ended up serving burgers and hot dogs on one occasion because the pork shoulder was no where near done and it was time to eat.  The #3 is an awesome appliance once you fine tune your process.

This forum is one of the best that I have ever been a part of.  Lots of people in here willing to help and share what they know.  I've turned out a lot of delicious food thanks to the regulars here.

How was the Myron Mixon class?  Worth the money? 

DivotMaker said:
Welcome Mr. Ed!  Your biggest "learning curve" will be putting away a lot of your old techniques of wrapping/unwrapping/mopping/spritzng, etc... Things you did to counter the drying-effect of traditional smokers.  Welcome to the world of Lazy Q! 8)

This is the reason I sold the big boy. Time for lazy Q for sure.  I'm ready.

Glock_21 said:
How was the Myron Mixon class?  Worth the money?

I took it years ago when it was much lower than today's classes.
It was great for competition time management.  You and I both know Myron isn't going to disclose all his secrets.  It did put me in the money a few times, so I can say I was paid back in the long run.

Welcome to the forum Mr. Ed! As a veteran of smoking AND of Vietnam, I think you'll be able to get out of the gate strong on the SI. I want to personally thank you for your service to our country. I look forward to seeing your cooks, I'm sure they'll be great!

Back