Hi from Jersey

allmann

I am new to smoking. I am stuck between the 2 and 3. I think I am leaning towards the 3 though.  My question really is, what additions besides the unit should I get?  I am an avid hunter and fisherman. I enjoy jerky and snack sticks. I plan on doing a lot of deer and goose jerky/snack sticks and possibly summer sausage with the unit. I have also read many different suggestions to either get a conversion to use dust chunks or chips, is it better to use a certain one? What books do you suggest to get me started also. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Welcome from Saint Augustine Florida.

I have the #2 smoker, but it is only the wife and I.

If you have the space, the #3 would be a good fit for you.

Things to make sure you buy.....

Cord Hanger
Jerky Dryer
Maverick 733
Digital Scale

Some decent wood, see the wood forum thread.

Greg

If the #3 fits within your budget then go for the extra room.  I've never once  read about someone on this forum regretting getting a #3 and wishing they had gone for one smaller. Either way you'll be impressed with the quality and the customer service you will receive. Not to mention having a whole community of dedicated Qers from many diverse backgrounds and experience levels to help you every step of the way. It's a win-win situation, you can't lose! So, why are still reading this post instead of ordering your new smoker? Well, get a move on! And by the way Welcome from Texas! We're glad your here!

Hey There, And welcome from Kansas City. I have not made jerky in my smokers yet. But, I am in the process of making my own racks, same as what Steve offers in the line of Seafood racks you will need 4 of these. If you have a dehydrator then you would not need to add the James Jerky Dryer as you can smoke the meat for a couple of hours then put in the dehydrator. Also when I first ordered my #1 I was actually on the fence between the #1 & #2. Woke up the next morning and called to see if could change the order to the #2. But, my order had already shipped. And really the #1 is very good but not very much room. Now I have a #3 that I purchased used, but it works great and plenty of room to smoke large cuts of meat. So I would suggest to you to go ahead and get the #3. As you can always smoke less in a large unit but cannot add more meat in a smaller unit if out of room. Right now Steve has a special if your order a smoker you will get the cord hangers and a chip screen for free. Here is a post on jerky that might be helpful to you. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1561.msg29791#msg29791
Also you might want to add your name and town in the signature  line. Good luck with your choice.

The Weber book is pretty good. 

The best book is staying around here and lurking!  You'll be surprised the recipes that show up here.

I just ordered "Grilling with House of Q: Inspired Recipes for Backyard Barbecues" on amazon so we'll see.

Welcome from Delaware!  I have the #2 and I am very happy with it and can smoke whatever I need (family of 4).  For you, though, if you can swing the #3, then go for it!  You can always smoke less in a larger unit, but not more in a smaller unit!    Good advice already on the kinds of things you should purchase with your unit, and as for books, a few have been reviewed on this forum in another thread, but honestly, as for smoking with the SI smokers, your best information is on this forum, not in a book!

Welcome, and let us know if you have more questions.  Cheers

Good advice on the information available on this forum-and it is all customized for your smoker.

Can't go wrong with this forum...no question goes unanswered, although the answers may vary a bit!  But it is all good.  Cheers

Welcome, from South Jersey...can't go wrong with the #2 or the advice here on the forum, most of the advice and receipies are easy to find and most questions are answered in minutes...

Mike

Welcome Allmann!  Go #3, if in your budget - you won't regret it!  Additions for you would be jerky dryer, remote thermometer (Maverick 732/733), and digital scale.  Some folks like the chip screen, but I've always used chunks only, and never had a problem with them.  Up to you, though - no "wrong" answers!

I'm going to agree with most of the accessories that have already been recommended.  The Maverick or something similar and a digital scale are necessities.  I'd recommend the chip screen since you'll be doing some cooler smokes, seafood racks are good for just about everything.  I, personally, don't use a cord hanger.  I have a velcro loop that I used to keep my cord in line and just set it on top of the smoker.  A jerky dryer would be a good idea, but there is a thread floating around somewhere that shows how to make one for ~$10 using heating duct and a duct fan.

Welcome from north jersey. I have a #3 and its great. You can smoke full racks of ribs. The extra cost is well worth it.

Back