Hi from another SI#1 smoker

PAHuntAndEat

Thanks for having me guys. I'm Dee from the Pennsylvania Mountains. Im looking forward to experimenting with the #1 for all things especially wild game meat.

I've got two smokes under my belt with the #1. first smoke was two venison roasts using a brine found on the forum and the other from a book. The recipe from the forum turned out amazing and the other was decent but a little salty.

The second smoke was a whole chicken. Brined over night using some info i got from a post from DivotMaker.After 5+hours in the smoker at 250 it was only at 140 so i had to transfer it to the crockpot to finish since we had plans and had to leave. It turned out really good and the family enjoyed it. I think it might have been a tad overcooked from the crockpot. Ill have to get better at estimating cooking times.

Overall a decent start and im sure the smokes will only get better with a bit more practice. Im really loving the simplicity of the unit. Set it and forget it is perfect with a few young kids to chase after.

Attachments

• IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 277
Dee, like you I'm new to the SI. I've had mine about a month & 1/2 and a whole chicken was one of the first things I tried.  The chicken weighted 6 pounds and like you I used DM's poultry brine (4 hours). I set my box temp to 250 & internal probe to 165. After 3 hours it was done. It turned out to be the best and juiciest chicken I've ever had! With that success I've been smoking everything in sight. You will really love what you can make with it. Welcome from mid Missouri.

Back