Hey there from Southern California

eclecticitguy

Hello Guys and Gals,

This is Will from Southern California.  I stumbled upon the 'Smokin-It' smoker a couple weeks ago while looking for electric grills and smokers.  Being from Southern California, this area is very susceptible to fires and there are many State laws that ban open-flame cooking.  After looking at all the reviews, it was an easy decision to proceed with the purchase.

I just placed my order for the Model #2 smoker a couple days ago, so I don't have it yet.  Once I get it, my first planned smoke is some Baby Back Ribs.  I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions at some point once I start getting into more difficult smokes like Brisket. 

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with everyone.

Welcome from Delaware, Will!  You have found the right place and you will love the #2...I know I do, and have been pretty smoking something every weekend for the past three years!  Cheers

Welcome from Texas Will! You made a great choice. You're about to experience what we call lazy Q. Prep the meat, add wood close the door, turn it on, go do something else besides tend a fire. Yep its that simple.

Welcome Will!  Great to have you with us!  Born in Whittier, and lived in Fullerton until I was 14.  Where are you?

Thanks for the welcome, all.  I look forward to learning from all of your experiences with smoking.

DM, that's awesome.  I was born in Seattle, but moved down to SoCal in 2008.  Right now, I live in Aliso Viejo (Between Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach as the crow flies), but work in La Mirada, right down the street from where you grew up.

Love my #2.  Welcome, you made a great choice.  Looking forward to seeing some of your smokes in the future.

Will, in the 70s, we used to have a family ritual, at least a couple of times a month.  They used to have a swap meet at the La Mirada drive-in, every Saturday.  It was huge, and there was SO much stuff!  Bet it's gone the way of most drive-ins, but it sure was cool, back in the day!

DivotMaker said:
Will, in the 70s, we used to have a family ritual, at least a couple of times a month.  They used to have a swap meet at the La Mirada drive-in, every Saturday.  It was huge, and there was SO much stuff!  Bet it's gone the way of most drive-ins, but it sure was cool, back in the day!

There is still a swap meet at the Santa Fe Springs Drive-In theatre.  I wonder if this was the same one you went to.  It's called Santa Fe Springs but it's literally across the street from the city of La Mirada.  That theatre is literally 1/2 a mile from where I work.  I've never been there myself but I've heard good things.  Maybe I should go check it out. 

It was called the La Mirada Drive-In, back then, Will.  Wonder if it's the same place?  Bet it's changed names a time or two since then.  Nothing like the big SoCal swap meets!

DivotMaker said:
It was called the La Mirada Drive-In, back then, Will.  Wonder if it's the same place?  Bet it's changed names a time or two since then.  Nothing like the big SoCal swap meets!

I did some historical digging around and I found out that this is the same place.  In the early 1990's, the La Mirada Drive-In closed and was re-named to the "Santa Fe Springs Drive-In and Swap Meet."  They host a swap meet daily and even installed stadium lights so that the swap meet could be held at night.  Ironically enough, they only host drive-in movies a few times a year.  That's a bummer!

Back