Help - Shredded Pork Loin

CHIsmoker

Ok, so my family bought a 9.5lb pork loin at Costco and they want to make pulled pork with it, they don't want sliced pork!
They would just like to put it in the slow cooker for 8 hours. :'(  If possible I would prefer to smoke it but haven't seen many recipes or reviews for smoking a pork loin for pulled pork. I realize other cuts are better for pulled pork but could really use some help on times/temps for smoking this thing. Any advice is always appreciated!  :)

Kevin, this is purely my opinion and others may jump in here and disagree, but I would rethink that idea. Pork Loin is too lean to make good pulled pork. There is not enough fat and collagen in a pork loin and it is cooked to a much lower temperature to make good pulled pork. If they truly want pulled pork go with a bone in Boston Butt and leave the pork loin for slicing.

My neighbor insists on making her pulled pork with pork loin and the crock pot with some coke or broth is the only way to cook it into submission. You could smoke it for a few hours and then transfer it to the crock pot. It isn't anything like pulled pork we know made with the right cut but one can force this to happen with a loin. It just seems like a waste to those of us that know better.

SuperDave said:
My neighbor insists on making her pulled pork with pork loin and the crock pot with some coke or broth is the only way to cook it into submission. You could smoke it for a few hours and then transfer it to the crock pot. It isn't anything like pulled pork we know made with the right cut but one can force this to happen with a loin. It just seems like a waste to those of us that know better.

I totally agree with Dave here. I don't think you will be it to be pullable by just smoking in the smoker. The meat is going to have to be hit hard in a crock pot to get it pullable.

Maybe buy and smoke a Boston Butt and do both to show your family the comparison. I would start smoking the Pork loin around 8:00 the night before and smoke it at 225 for about 3 hours, and then put it into the crock pot on low with some Coke or Dr Pepper (I used to do this all the time before getting my smokers). Then around 11:00-12:00 give or take, add your Boston Butt (hopefully you have found Tony's Butt brine and use it), and smoke at 225. Then the next day you will have two options and see which one they like better.

Like others have already said, it really seems a shame to pull a pork loin, but I know that you already know that. :(

The other thing that has to happen with a loin to make a pseudo pulled pork is the bottle of bbq sauce mixed with the meat as it is too dry to stand on its own. 

Thank you for all the advice, it is unfortunately going in the slow cooker tomorrow.  :'(  There will be no pictures of the brutal death.
This is what happens when other people plan stuff, at least I know next time they have my smoked pork their expectations will be really low.  ;)
I appreciate the quick feedback, this community has been an awesome resource since getting my first SI #1 about two years ago. Everything comes out fantastic on this little thing from pork ribs to beef brisket and the salmon in Incredible.

Cheers,
Kevin

I know I'm late to the party, Kevin (had an out of town weekend with my son).  Sorry to hear of the untimely demise of a nice big pork loin. :'(

Do yourself a favor, next time, and stand firm in your ability as a pit master!  Just tell them your can't make filet minion out of sirloin steak, so you certainly can't make pulled pork out of a loin!  All kidding aside, the reason it just doesn't work is internal fat.  The loin is very lean, and cooks much faster because of it.  Bone-in Boston butts, on the other hand, have lots of internal fat.  This renders to liquid, and essentially "lubricates" the meat fibers, which allows them to pull apart easily.  The fat is the key, to good pulled pork, and that just will never happen with a loin!

By the way.... a pork loin, smoked to 145 internal temp, sliced thin, makes some of the best pork sammies you'll ever have!  I brine mine, and they are great!

Pork Loin Brine  (Different from my butt brine)

Back