Hello, newbie here!

jaystekan

Hi all, just joined the forum, figured I would introduce myself. We have semi-recently moved to Texas and have discovered smoking. I am a huge BBQ guy, but never tried smoking until recently. Anyway.... My Weber Performer grill got damaged in transit when we moved, so I purchased a Kamado as a replacement. Since it's capable of smoking I gave it a whirl. WOW, my wife and kids ate that up. That was 9 months ago. I still smoke weekly in the Kamado. While I love my Kamado, smoking in it is not exactly easy. Between adjusting air vents to hold the right temp, adding lump charcoal,  getting ready to put a brisket or rack of ribs on, only to realize that i am too low on charcoal, I am tired of fighting with the Kamado to get the perfect smoke. When the Kamado does a good smoke, it does a GOOD smoke, but let that grill get away from you, and it's all over for whatever is in there. So...I have decided on an electric smoker, and the Smoking-it comes highly reviewed. I am most likely going to be ordering my smoker end of this week or early next. Trying to decide between the #2 or the #3. Looking forward to joining the group here, lots of great information!!!!

Hi Jay, welcome from Colorado. If you can afford a #3 you won't be disappointed. I love my #2 but it is usually for a smaller crowd. The kids are out of the house.  :)

Welcome Jay from SE Arizona. Go larger if you can afford it; always nice to have the extra capacity, just in case. But either way you go, you are getting the best built smoker on the planet.

Hi Jay!  I'm sure you will still want to fight fire with your kamado, but won't as much, once you embrace the Lazy Q lifestyle! ;)  The quality of the Q is every bit as good (or possibly even better, when you remove the taste of the heat source), and it's SO much easier!  Want to throw a butt or brisket in before you go to bed, and check on it in the morning?  Yeah!  Probably aren't doing that with the kamado! Not trying to "sell" you; just pointing out a great advantage.  Ease of use will promote more use..sure did for me!

The 2 is great, but I sure recommend the 3 or 3D, if your budget allows.  You can always go smaller, in a 3, but you sure can't expand the size of the 2 when you need the length!  Sure is nice throwing a whole 17 lb packer brisket in the #3, without having to cut it!  It's the depth of the 3 that just can't be rivaled, anywhere! 

Whatever decision you make, take satisfaction in knowing you are getting hold of the best electric smoker out there!

Hi Jay, welcome aboard from N'East MA. What ever model you choose...you can't go wrong!
I opted for the SI#1 and for the one time that I could have used the extra space I've been kicking myself ever since!
+1 on Tony's comment.

Welcome from Texas Jay! #3 is a great value but is very heavy and shipping to Texas is pretty high. Steve just charges what FedEx charges him. Whatever you decide you'll be getting the best electric smoker going. Hope to see you here often!

Welcome from Delaware, Jay!  I have a #2 and it works great for me, but as others have said, the #3 provides more real estate for smoking if you can swing the extra cost.  Once you get the SI, I predict your kamado will be bored on most weekends...I have both, but my #2 is the go-to unit for smoking...it's just too easy to set it and forget it! 

Welcome Jay.  I recently got rid of my old charcoal smoker for the 3D and it is an awesome smoker.  I will definitely be smoking a lot more than I use to because it is just so easy.  I was on the fence between the 2 and the 3 but I figured get the 3D and have no regrets.

Back