Hello from Wisconsin

MudFarm

New owner of a #3 and so far loving it. I received an old vertical propane smoker last summer and I've been hooked ever since. This winter I bought the #3 and am trying as many things as I can. I have brisket, pulled pork, steak, and chicken down pretty good. My father and I make a cold smoked venison "farmers sausage" every year. This year I'm also making my own snack sticks, brats, summer sausage, hot dogs, and ring bologna. I burnt some of the snack sticks as I didn't rotate the racks enough,  that was my first failure but the smoker is working great. I'm going to do a batch of hot dogs in the next few days so any recipe/process advice would be appreciated.

Welcome Justin from ND and a fellow #3 owner!

Yeah, the snack sticks can be tricky since they take up a lot of space. Rotating front to back and top to bottom is very important as well as using a dryer (either homemade or the James Jerky Drier) to help remove some of the moisture.

You will find a lot of great information in the Recipes sections. :)

Welcome Justin.. I am also from Wisc. and I have had a 3-D for several years.. Mainly do all the normal ribs, brisket, butt, chicken type smokes.. We still make our own cold smoked summer sausage (along with brats) in a smokehouse on our family farm. I did smoke some bear ribs 3 years ago and they turned out well. I would also recommend making your own bacon (or Canadian bacon) in your #3.. Lots of good data on the site

Thanks for the greetings. I'm in the middle of a week long smoking extravaganza. I'll post some pictures and recipes in a new thread when I have time to put it together. I've been lurking for a while but finally registered to post. A lot of great info on this forum!

Back