Hello from Virginia

RJ

Hello

Got the model 2 a couple of weeks ago and have done a bone-in boston butt and some spare ribs.  While the ribs were good, the boston butt was fantastic.  My friend suggested that as a first smoke, and highly recommend going that route.

I am really happy I bought this smoker.  Almost went the Weber Smokey Mountain way, but a friend who used to do competition cooks (check him out on YouTube for some good cooking classes "Wolfe Pit"), convinced me to go the electric way (even though he doesn't have one)..... he knows I don't have a lot of patience and like things easy. I decided on Smokin-it based on reviews here, and you can get replacement parts cheap.

I have already learned a lot from many of you, and really appreciate the insights provided.  Thanks!

Welcome to the world of "Lazy Q," RJ!  Hehe, you're friend is right about people like us that just don't have the time, or patience, to deal with tending a smoker for 12+ hours!  You have definitely made the right decision!  Oh, and the Boston butt has always been my recommendation for a first smoke!  It was mine, and I felt it really helped me get "Zen" with my new best friend! 8)  Glad to hear yours was a success!

Hang out here whenever you can, and throw us some pics and recipes, too! ;D

Welcome to the forum RJ. You will find some great tips  on the forum to get you started. You will find recipes or methods that you never would of thought of. Be sure to post your pics.

Welcome, RJ!  I purchased the SI#2 about 1.5 years ago, and like you, almost went the WSM route.    I spoke with a friend that was really into smoking and, like your buddy, he told me to go electric.  Absolutely best decision for me.    I set it up and let it work through one heating cycle, and then I am free to move about with no worries that the SI will keep on chugging!  Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum RJ. Please post pictures of your creations. There is a lot of knowledge shared in this group but the pictures make the site. Good Luck with your SI.

Back