Hello from Tahoe California

mikehoff30

Purchased a 2D a few weeks ago.  So far I have done a brisket, baby back ribs, whole duck, and tri tip.  This machine is by far the best cooking investment I have made! 

I'm gearing up to do a 10 lb pork tenderloin this weekend.  Any suggestions are welcome.  I'm most concerned about cooking time.  I'm also planning on using a salt free rub (memphis dust).  Should I use a brine prior? 

Mike, in general, brining of meats is good. Info on that and cooking times are all on the forum. You will have a great experience with the #2. Enjoy!

Thanks Bob… I see you are NRA and USN.  Wife and I are both NRA, she is USN, and I'm a Merchant Mariner.  Thank you for your service.

Welcome from Delaware, Mike!  You have found the right place to hang out...good advice and great  recipes to try out.  I also suggest brining, but I am confident that your finished product will be tasty.  Cheers

Thanks,  I love the product.  My family has duck hunted for years.  My Mom tries duck once every year just to confirm that she doesn't like it.  That all changed after running one through the smoker.

Welcome from Texas Mike! Good to hear your off to a great start! Good luck with the tenderloin.

mikehoff30 said:
Purchased a 2D a few weeks ago.  So far I have done a brisket, baby back ribs, whole duck, and tri tip.  This machine is by far the best cooking investment I have made! 

I'm gearing up to do a 10 lb pork tenderloin this weekend.  Any suggestions are welcome.  I'm most concerned about cooking time.  I'm also planning on using a salt free rub (memphis dust).  Should I use a brine prior?

Mike, meat needs salt. And the best way to get it into a pork tenderloin is though a brine. Pork tenderloins can be a little light on the porky flavor, so the brine will help bring out the flavor. And a salt-free rub is perfect, since there is no need for salt in the rub when your meat has been brined.

Cook to 140 internal temp, wrap in foil and rest. Carryover cooking should bring it up to 145, which is the USDA recommended temp.  It will be slightly pink inside at that temp. Cooking time will depend on the size of your pork tenderloin, and smoking temp. I'm thinking if it is 10 lbs, then it is probably a pork loin as opposed to just the tenderloin.

Welcome, and congrats, Mike!  Native prune picker, here, transplanted to Arkansas many years ago!

Pork loins are an easy smoke, and brining only makes them better.  Here's how I do them:

Brined Pork Loin

Unlike Kari, I smoke them to 145, and then reverse-sear on the grill.  I don't wrap/rest pork loins...not enough fat, and not necessary (imo).  Opinions vary on this, so just take that as mine.  But, 145, with a good sear afterwards, will give you a very juicy pork loin, which makes some of the best pork sammies you'll ever have! 8)

I agree with Kari. 10 pounds would be a monster "Tenderloin". It must be a "pork loin". Just a small point of clarification. Make sure you take some pics and let us know how it turns out.

DivotMaker said:
Welcome, and congrats, Mike!  Native prune picker, here, transplanted to Arkansas many years ago!

Pork loins are an easy smoke, and brining only makes them better.  Here's how I do them:

Brined Pork Loin

Unlike Kari, I smoke them to 145, and then reverse-sear on the grill.  I don't wrap/rest pork loins...not enough fat, and not necessary (imo).  Opinions vary on this, so just take that as mine.  But, 145, with a good sear afterwards, will give you a very juicy pork loin, which makes some of the best pork sammies you'll ever have! 8)

All good advice. I like living on the edge with my pork temps. Taking it all the way to 145 is probably safer advice. Forgot to mention the sear, yes sear. I think all meat should rest at least a little before you cut into it. 15-30 minutes should be plenty for a pork loin.

Back